Help

Music Teachers

Advice for new music teachers

>

lovelyshine

Advice for new music teachers
Old 01-12-2014, 10:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi everyone I am currently looking for advice from those who have been teaching music for awhile. I will be a music teacher in a preschool and included will be some after schoolers. What suggestions do you have from your experiences?

Thanks

lovelyshine is offline   Reply With Quote

Oboegal1

First Steps in Music
Old 03-11-2014, 07:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Sorry this response is so late. I just now saw the question. I would reccomend LOTS of different activities with Preschool. The general rule of thumb is whatever their age is is how many minutes you should spend on an activity when it comes to music. I do many movement activities (circle games, dancing, movement with scarves to classical music (use fast pieces, slow pieces, loud vs. soft). Lots of echo songs, fingerplays, find a book you can sing with so they can look at the pictures during the song. If you're doing lots of music with this age group, I reccommend picking up John Feireabend's "First Steps in Music for Preschool and Beyond". I use it with Preschool-First grade. Yes, it is expensive around 80 dollars), but SO well worth it. It has lesson plans created for 30 minute segments, and most of my students are matching pitch right around kindergarten, which is kind of early to be singing so accurately. Good Luck!
Oboegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote