Help

Music Teachers

Recorders?

>

latebloomer72

Recorders?
Old 08-20-2012, 04:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Am I really dropping the ball if I DON'T teacher recorders? My principal will not let me ask kids to buy their own, so I have to provide them if I teach them. That means the kids can't bring them home to work on their own (which seems to me to be a huge part of attempting a pre-band instrument), the recorders we can afford always sound so cheap and awful, even if the kids try to play them correctly. The breathing is not really the same as most instruments, and I can teach them to read notation with keyboards. Do I need to feel guilty about this? We don't have a district mandate to teach them, and I just need to get some opinions. I have enough for a classroom set, so I could touch on them as an instrument without getting too involved, I guess. I would just prefer to focus on keyboards and guitars/ukuleles.

latebloomer72 is offline   Reply With Quote

NoOneUKnow

NoOneUKnow

musical blasphemy
Old 10-29-2012, 12:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Maybe I'm committing musical blasphemy, but I'll say it: no, I don't think you are awful if you deprive them of playing recorder. My 2 cents for what you paid for it =)

My favorite elementary music classroom instrument is boomwackers, and I don't think I ever got to play those until I was a student teacher (!)

Here are some logical reasons for playing boomwackers instead of recorders:
-Boomwackers can be used to teach the principle of pitches being same or different and the concept of different octaves (small C is red, an octave above is also C, but a different size)
-Boomwackers help visual learners connect something they see with something they hear. The visual concept of learning can be difficult with recorders (seeing where to place the fingers over the recorder holes). This won't be the case with boomwackers.
-Boomwackers come in a variety of sizes (different pitches, different sizes) so if a student has a special physical need, it's easier to make an accommodation to help him/her play
-With practice, students can sing AND play a boomwacker simultaneously; with recorders, it's a choice - sing OR play, never both
-Boomwackers do not need to be sanitized before another person uses them
-Boomwackers can be owned by the school and kept forever (or, until they break)

Douglie

Old 03-14-2013, 03:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

this is an issue where the school SHOULD be paying for them!! Wholesale wise we got them at my school for 2 bucks each. TAX dollars do pay for these items and music is an important part of schooling like it or not. It teaches them to use their head and hey have a talent. We do make them pay for replacements if they lose or misplace the, if they re find them we give them their money back.
Douglie is offline   Reply With Quote

omacrulzzz

No
Old 05-24-2014, 11:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

You teach what you want as long as you're teaching the state standards and giving kids a good well-rounded music education. You could teach nothing but singing and still give the kids a good musical background, perhaps even better than they could get with a recorder. All that being said, if you like teaching recorder, you could try getting them through donorchoose.org. That's what I did. Every child has their own recorder thanks to the site. I don't let them take them home, so it does take a little longer for them to advance on the instrument, but I like teaching them and I think it's a good way to get their fingers ready for musical instruments in middle school. I provide students with cleaning alcohol swabs to clean the mouthpieces each week and I run them through a 180 degree industrial dishwasher in the cafeteria so that we can reuse them the following year.

I wonder why the principal won't let you ask them to buy their own? Why is it OK to ask them to buy a book bag, pencil, paper, notebooks, markers, etc., but a 5 dollar recorder from the local music store is unacceptable??? Administrators can be really dim sometimes.
omacrulzzz is offline   Reply With Quote

TeamJordan

Boomwackers vs. Recorders
Old 05-30-2014, 04:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I teach recorders afterschool. I can hardly wait to begin with boomwhackers this year as well!

TeamJordan is offline   Reply With Quote