Help

Music Teachers

New Kindergarten Music Teacher

>

packergal

New Kindergarten Music Teacher
Old 04-08-2013, 07:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello All! I will be teaching music this fall for the first time to kindergarten students. I will need to place a "curriculum order" soon and am wondering if anyone would be able to give me a few tips of the "necessities" of kindergarten music supplies. Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

packergal is offline   Reply With Quote

FancyFish

Old 04-11-2013, 04:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Some of my music haves:
- classroom instruments (shakers, scapers, woods, metals, etc)
- action and movement songs (Denise Gagne's Theme and Variations publishing www.musicplay.com) has fabulous resources
- boomwhackers
- dance music (like Greg and Steve)
- singing story books (like BINGO, Itsy Bitsy Spider, 5 Green and Speckled Frogs)
FancyFish is online now   Reply With Quote

packergal

Thank YOU
Old 04-13-2013, 03:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Hello Musicbean,
Thanks so much for the great tips! Very much appreciated. I am excited to look at the website you included. Thanks!
packergal is offline   Reply With Quote

Oboegal1

Old 05-23-2013, 06:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I would definetly recommend John Feierabend's First Steps in Music. This is the "meat and potatoes" of my kindergarten music curriculum. It comes with CD's so if you don't read music notation, you can learn many of the songs from the CD (by fabulous musician Jill Trinka). If your budget it limited, you can also just order one instrument and pass it around a circle, have each child play to a steady beat to a nursery rhyme (great way to teach those). I would get a triangle, different sizes of hand drums, sandpaper blocks, wood blocks. I would also look into purchasing scarves for movement activities ( I use slow versus fast classical music for this, or loud versus soft music, or even high and low). John Feierabend also has published picture books where you sing the lyrics of a song and have a page for each. Wonderful stuff. I would also look into his "Book of Beat Motions" and "Book of Circle Games". I use them all the time, even after 7 years of teaching K-5 music.
Oboegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
HeyHeyHey

HeyHeyHey

Old 11-07-2013, 04:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Music K-8 is the essential ingredient. If you can only buy one thing for your elementary music program, this subscription would be it. It will give you new songs each month that you can use for concerts (no worrying about an accompanist). Or, if you have nothing for a visual presentation, you can do without visuals and your students will sing along.

LovinSubbin

Music Effect
Old 12-02-2013, 06:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Ditto the Feierabend suggestion. Joy Nelson out of University of Oklahoma has also put out some good Kindergarten resources. They were my meat and potatoes when I was still in the music classroom.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/search?inde...rds=0739038907

Music K-8 is fun, but not really helpful for teaching musical concepts. You'll find some great program ideas there, though.

Good luck!
LovinSubbin is offline   Reply With Quote

JFM

Game plan!
Old 01-30-2014, 10:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Hi packergal!

I realize this is a bit of a delayed response, but I also just started teaching kindergarten music, and wanted to share what I use. I pull some lessons from here and there, but mostly I use the Game Plan series. There is a curriculum book for each grade level and they are WONDERFUL. The lessons are all spelled out, including what materials you need, what national standards you will be achieving, and even what the objective of the lesson is. Very helpful. There is a great variety of styles of lessons, some are more "Orff-y" some more "Kodaly-y," some are even more "Delcarose-y." I LOVE this series.
JFM is offline   Reply With Quote