Clarinet Values Advice, Please! (Long, sorry) - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Music Teachers

Clarinet Values Advice, Please! (Long, sorry)

>

GdHrtdTchr

Clarinet Values Advice, Please! (Long, sorry)
Old 10-04-2013, 07:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello. I've been on Ebay, Amazon, Buffet/Crampon, and e-mailed someone I found on line...But tonight I thought to see what my fellow PTers with music/instrument expertise could tell me:

I'm a recently unemployed teacher who's learning to sell some things until unemployment (and hopefully eventually a new job) kick in. I actually have three clarinets, but I'm not sure I'm emotionally ready to part with 'my good one' which has sentimental value. It actually looks like comparable instruments are going for quite a bit of $$ on Ebay -- which might help me get past my sentiment. Is there an expert out there who can help me be sure I'm right about 'the better one,' give me an opinion on value, and suggest how to sell to get the most $$?

One clarinet says only Buffet Crampon (with a sort of Cursive capital C after 'Crampon') and "Made in France" below. The serial number is 6 digits, beginning with 17XXXX. (No letter in front -- no 'extra words' below.) I THINK my music teacher raved about how my "R13 sounded so good." I think perhaps this was my 'better' clarinet because it is my red lined case which I THOUGHT was my newer/better case and in addition to the mouthpiece that came with the clarinet, there is a Vandoren (sp?) B45 mouthpiece. I have recollections of purchasing this because it was a 'better' mouthpiece. Also, the other clarinet has a "Blue Lakes Fine Arts Camp" sticker on it and it would have made sense for me to not take 'my good one' to camp. That second one says Evette & Schaeffer on the top and Model Buffet Crampon underneath (along with 'Made in France.') That serial number starts with a K followed by 5 digits, starting with 23XXX. This case is lined with blue and has rounded edges and just feels a little older/less nice to me. I have this recollection of one being an E11? or possibly E12?

The third is plastic -- I used it for marching band. I was still thinking I could get a little $$ for it (for a new clarinetist or someone in marching band), but just learned of a "Freecycling" Mom trying to get a clarinet for her 6th grade son and it's sorta on my teacher-conscience.
Thank you so much for helping me. I am very grateful.

The corks and pads on the wooden ones actually 'look' pretty good to my naive eyes. Should I just assume that these would need to be replaced? Or is it possible that they are ok if the instruments have been unused over these many Michigan seasons? It's clear that the plastic one needs at least new corks? What might that run me?

Also, are there serial numbers elsewhere/on the other pieces? The stamps look the same to me on each entire clarinet, but I have this vague recollection of once cracking and replacing a 'neck'. (Forgive me, I recall not what they're called. !) But that might have been on another clarinet, cuz it sure looks like everything matches. If each piece has a serial number I could check it out.

Thank you, again, to anyone who can help me. I am very grateful.

GdHrtdTchr is offline   Reply With Quote

HeyHeyHey

HeyHeyHey

Old 11-07-2013, 04:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

The name 'Buffet' generally has a very good reputation. However, you might want to think about calling some music teachers in your community instead of selling it online. This has a few advantages. Because your instrument hasn't been used in such a long time, a musician should take a look at it to be sure that there isn't anything wrong with it before a beginner starts playing. If the clarinet needs oiling, if the mouthpiece is broken or if there's something else wrong with it, that could make learning the instrument a very frustrating experience for a beginner. But, I'm sure there are many, many music teachers in your community who would be willing to connect you with a student willing to buy or hoping for a price reduction that would benefit their music program.