Music Teachers

Music Praxis 2 - So close, yet so far!

>

MusicPlease

MusicPlease

Music Praxis 2 - So close, yet so far!
Old 02-18-2014, 11:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Help! I have taken the Music Praxis 2 twice now! I missed passing by 10 points on the first try and 13 points on the 2nd try! So close!!!!
If I could score a bit higher on the written portion, I think I could pass! Can any of you music teachers out there suggest a book or website I can use to brush up on lesson plans, etc. for the written portion of the test? Any advice is welcome also!
Thanks in advance!!

AMCMusic

AMCMusic

teacher
Old 03-06-2014, 06:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

What kind of lesson is it for? I'm not sure if you have access to a music curriculum book used for your state but they usually have all lessons mapped out with the standard associated and often even have extensions or modifications for students whoa re gifted or have disabilities. Also often times the department of ed websites for the individual states have guidelines for what is required on a lesson plan, I know every state differs. I have even googled a specific lesson plan like on tempo or syncopation and often times the web has many free plans that you can view that are very helpful. I have to take the test to renew my licensure, I have bought the study guide books, do you know anything in particular I should study?

omacrulzzz

8 years
Old 05-15-2014, 12:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

It's been 8 years since I took this test. It took me 3 tries to pass the written portion. Georgia no longer even uses praxis II (I think because it's so ridiculously hard.) Don't know if this helps, but I can give you the questions they asked me.

How do you teach the concept of hemiola to a group of students. Give an example of a musical work using hemiola. (I used first suite in eb by holst as my example).

Describe your first day teaching a student to play a string instrument such as violin, viola, cello, or double bass (I think i did well on this because I had just passed a class on string methods, but I can't remember any of it now.

Describe how you would solve problems with intonation on a woodwind instrument such as clarinet (back of tongue should be raised inside the mouth as if to say the word "eat". Also chin should be straight, pointed at the ground as if you were putting chapstick on your lower lip.)

There were some chorus questions about diction, vowels, consonants, breathing, and other pedagogical stuff.

Most of the questions I know of covered pedagogy specific to a certain instrument or group, so it may help for you to watch some videos on the internet for "how to teach begining violin" or "how to teach proper diction to your chorus" or "how to teach proper embouchure for brass instruments.

I think the best thing you can do is to find friends you know who passed the exam and ask them what questions they got on the written part, then go to google or youtube and watch some instructional videos on teaching methods. Also, study up on the questions they asked from the test you failed, cuz you never know. You may get the exact same question next time you take it. There's a chance you may not, of course, but it's the luck of the draw. Other than that, just google, google, google praxis 2 questions. I'd also ask some people on the MENC message board what questions they got for the test.

What instrument do you play or are you voice?
omacrulzzz is offline   Reply With Quote

Oboegal1

Good Luck!
Old 05-23-2014, 09:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I took the test 8 years ago as well, and Indiana's Praxis 2 was multiple choice. I don't remember a written portion at all, only the Praxis I there was an essay that you had to write on a topic.
Oboegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
MusicTeach15

MusicTeach15

Praxis 2 Help
Old 06-13-2015, 09:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Hello,

I think we are preparing for different tests because I am taking Music Content and Knowledge and there isn't a written portion on mine. However, does anyone have any helpful tips for mine? I have taken it 3 times and I really need to pass it!!!