Music Teachers

Seating Chart suggestions and new teacher fears

>

Rabbit05

Seating Chart suggestions and new teacher fears
Old 08-01-2014, 09:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi all,

I'm a new hire, and it has been YEARS since I student-taught elementary music. I did some other things for awhile, and am just returning to public school teaching after over 7 years out of it, and when I was teaching, I did HS - big difference from elementary!

I am excited and yet I am *terrified*! Please tell me that is a normal range of daily emotions? .

So, here's what I've got - three different schools, for a total of right around 700 students. I will see each student/class once per week. This was the same basic format of my student teaching, and my mentor teacher told me that it was normal to not know the names of about 90% of the kids in a situation like this. He did not know most of his kids' names even after having them for K through 5th -- basically only the really 'musically gifted' ones and the troublemakers, .

He used seating charts for every class - but he had a dedicated music room.

At one of my schools, I have a room, and plan to do the seating charts soon, but it probably won't happen before the first day (Aug. 11... VERY SOON) as I haven't even been able to work it out to see that school/meet that principal/get that schedule yet. Which I fear may not bode well. But hopefully I'm wrong.

At the other two schools, the principals have been great. At one of them, I'll be on a cart, and at the other, they have music in the gym - with the option of either using "benches" (basically smaller cafeteria tables), or seating the students in the floor. The choice can change daily, or even 2x/day, so I'm not stuck with my choice of one or the other for the whole year. I'm leaning toward using the benches for the older kids (probably 2nd thru 5th), and doing K and 1 in the floor - but I'm open for any suggestions.

At the "cart school," my assumption is that the students will just sit in their regular seats since I travel to their classrooms. I am hoping I can get copies of seating charts from their teachers to help me with names.

My main apprehension is at the "cafeteria" school. From those of you who are seasoned, should I work toward (after the first couple days there, anyway) a seating chart, be it at the 'benches' or on the floor, or should I let the students sit wherever, until a discipline issue occurs? Any advice on this matter would be much appreciated. My assumption is that the classroom teachers will not accompany the students to music - but I don't know that 100%.

Supply-wise, our county uses the book series "Spotlight on Music." Any praise or criticism of that series?

Each school also has kind of a mix and match selection of Orff and percussion instruments. Next week I'm going to do a more in-depth inventory of each school to see what's there, and plan out the first week of lessons.

OM-GOSH, my brain is going to explode!

Rabbit05 is offline   Reply With Quote

barfieldmusic

Apps
Old 08-06-2014, 12:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have the set in one row or multiple rows in the same order. If you have an iPad or iPhone you can look at a program call teacher kit in the app store. It allows you to use it as a grade book, but it also allows you to take their picture. You can also make a seating short with it. This is real handy when you are doing movement to have the picture.
barfieldmusic is offline   Reply With Quote

Jojosoprano

impossible task
Old 08-28-2014, 02:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I like the app idea. Wish I had an ipad .
The written seating charts are good if you don't have the ipad.
Whatever seating plan you end up with for each class, make lots of copies, one for each week. Use that chart as a reference chart for names and also as a mark sheet to sketch down quick one word comments to help differentiate between the kids at report card time.
Best of luck with this assignment.
Jojosoprano is offline   Reply With Quote