How Are the Teachers in Your School Doing? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

BusyBoard

How Are the Teachers in Your School Doing?

>

gintexas

How Are the Teachers in Your School Doing?
Old 01-07-2014, 05:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Do they want to quit?
Are they completely worn out?
Do they feel they are having unreasonalble demands made on them?
Are they allowed to have a life outside of the classroom?
Are they actually being required to do more than is humanly possible?
Are they required to use skills that they have never been shown/taught how to do?
Do they feel they are given little support from other "shareholders?"
Do you see discouragement in the veterans as well as newbies?
Do you still have veterans on your campus?
Are your teachers expected to work in a climate of continual and increasing chaos?

I am just wondering...times are pretty rough here in Texas...even in "exemplary" schools.

gintexas is offline   Reply With Quote

anngirl

Old 01-07-2014, 07:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Yes to all of the questions above. I am in Texas too.

And I just quit at the semester! Woohoo!!!

I'm sorry that so many teachers are struggling. I wish there was a solution.
anngirl is offline   Reply With Quote

supernova

Yes
Old 01-07-2014, 07:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Yes, and it saddens me.

I have taught for 31 years and am retiring this year. I have seen a lot of things come and go. I have always had to work hard and always felt that some made it look easier than for me, but.... I always felt blessed to have the job. I felt the benefits were great. I loved that I had summers off with my kids even though I had to go to workshops and plan for the next year, I enjoyed those summers and didn't dread the thinking about how I could make the next year better. However... The last ten years of my teaching career have progressively gotten harder and harder and have taken more and more time. I don't think it would be so great to have little ones now. I am now out of the classroom and have been for the last year and a half as a science coach. I see the teachers so stressed and just completely beaten down. The evaluation system is tough on them. I do know there are bad teachers out there who need to go, but it seems the new evaluation system has placed a strain on those really good teachers who are trying so hard. Add in the lesson planning requirements in my district and I think most just feel totally consumed.

I have really tried to think about it and give encouragement to those teachers. My daughter just graduated from college and wouldn't even consider a teaching job since both of her parents are in the field. My hubby is a principal. Now, that she is the workforce, I have tried to weigh her set up to ours. She will work everyday but for two weeks out of the year for a very long time. That is tough too!!! I will say she doesn't not come home stressed or with work to do at night. She is able to walk out of her office and turn work off.

So, I guess those are our two options....
Teach and think about it 24/7 and get some time off where it takes awhile to stop the meter from running...
OR... work like her from 7:30 to 4:30 with a lunch everyday except for two weeks a year and come home with a clear mind.

I truly don't know what I would choose if I were young again. I am glad I have made it 31. I went in straight out of college and never took a year off, so I will retire at 53. However, those starting now, probably won't have a 30 year option. I will work part time down the road to supplement my health care.

One of my teachers just told me yesterday he is leaving for another job. He put in a two week notice. He sited long hours and low pay. He was tired of being at the school all the time and never being finished.

Food for thought. I wish somehow we could enjoy the job again. I actually work at three schools in my current position. I think the leadership at a school helps some. One of the principals I work with is constantly reminding his teachers to hold take it one chunk or goal at the time and pretty soon those little things will add up. They are the happiest of the faculties. I do think he holds them accountable, but he speaks positively to them as well and encourages them to think of something else other than school all the time.
supernova is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

What a great survey!
Old 01-07-2014, 08:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Do they want to quit?Most do, yes!
Are they completely worn out?Many are
Do they feel they are having unreasonalble demands made on them?Yes. They feel the demands are unreasonable because they are constantly changing, no one knows what the demands are in anymore, they don't give us the support or resources to implement the demands (that are always changing...like 50 times in one year...I lost count)
Are they allowed to have a life outside of the classroom?Many do because they just view that more worth it. Others feel they do not and want more family and "me" time!
Are they actually being required to do more than is humanly possible? Yup! Those of us who do everything expected of us are overwhelmed.
Are they required to use skills that they have never been shown/taught how to do?Depends...have we been shown what they want? Yes. How many times? Once maybe. More than anything, they want us to do things without the money.
Do they feel they are given little support from other "shareholders?"Yes...higher ups are too busy.
Do you see discouragement in the veterans as well as newbies?We have a well balance of veterans and newbies. Most of the veterans are all discouraged. In terms of newbies, we have 3 who are discouraged but still so positive that they are trying. I'm relatively new, year 3, but very discouraged. The other 2 newbies are fine, at least on the outside, but they also don't do a lot at school. They are in and out...they party hard after work if you know what I mean!
Do you still have veterans on your campus?Yup!Although many are talking early retirement...2 this year for sure!
Are your teachers expected to work in a climate of continual and increasing chaos?Yes...expectations change daily...no one knows what is expected anymore!
Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 01-07-2014, 09:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Do they want to quit?
Most are fine. Some of the younger ones don't see themselves teaching long term.

Are they completely worn out?
I am sure some are.

Do they feel they are having unreasonalble demands made on them?
not usually

Are they allowed to have a life outside of the classroom?
No one has the ability to keep you from having a life. That is your decision. You set your own priorities.

Are they actually being required to do more than is humanly possible?
no

Are they required to use skills that they have never been shown/taught how to do?
Sometimes. For example, I had to teach a math class, and I have an English degree. I have had a class of non-readers, but I have no training in teaching someone to read. I'm secondary certified.

it varies

Do you see discouragement in the veterans as well as newbies?
sometimes

Do you still have veterans on your campus?
Most are veterans.

Are your teachers expected to work in a climate of continual and increasing chaos?
I would never use "chaos" to describe our building.

Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote
woweezow

woweezow

Ima Teacher...
Old 01-07-2014, 11:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Where do you teach? I want to come there... you seem so relaxed about school and your career. I would have to agree with Teacherbee's answers. I teach 3rd grade in VA

roo

Old 01-07-2014, 11:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Do they want to quit? Most would quit if they had another viable option
Are they completely worn out? yes
Do they feel they are having unreasonalble demands made on them?Yes. More and more is expected and there isn't even close to enough time to do it. We all feel like we're just barely keeping our heads above water (if that!)
Are they allowed to have a life outside of the classroom? Yes, but things suffer both at home and work.
Are they actually being required to do more than is humanly possible?Yes.
Are they required to use skills that they have never been shown/taught how to do?In some cases.
Do they feel they are given little support from other "shareholders?"We feel very supported by our P, but not by higher admin. Consequently, higher admin. doesn't like our P and would like to get rid of him.
Do you see discouragement in the veterans as well as newbies?Yes. The discouragement is across the board.
Do you still have veterans on your campus?Yes. We've had many retire in the last few years, but we have quite a few with 15-25 years in, who are frustrated by how much longer they've got to put up with the ridiculousness.
Are your teachers expected to work in a climate of continual and increasing chaos?I don't know if I'd call it chaos, but it is definitely higher and higher pressure and stakes all of the time.
roo is offline   Reply With Quote

Christi508

Yes to all of the above
Old 01-07-2014, 03:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

from a veteran teacher in Florida, except a life outside of the classroom.
Christi508 is offline   Reply With Quote

Izzy23

Old 01-07-2014, 04:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Yes, everyone is overwhelmed and stressed and this year was worse than the last. The veteran teachers are all on their way out. Several have said they will leave as soon as they get offered another job, no matter what time of the year it is. I'm a relatively new teacher (five years) and though I still love my job, I know there is no way this career is long-term. I don't see how I can keep this up for another 25 years.

That said, I would like to know where everyone else lives. I'm in Wisconsin and things went rapidly downhill after our Republican governor launched an all-out attack on public schools, busting the unions, cutting a billion dollars from our budget, and giving all the funding to charter schools.

I talk with other teachers and they always talk about leaving and going some place else. But where? If you are happy and unstressed, what state are you in?? I want to move there!
Izzy23 is offline   Reply With Quote

WhyNot

Agree with everyone, except Ima Teacher
Old 01-07-2014, 07:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

It's really too depressing to even read all of these comments because they really hit the mark. I'm in Texas too.

WhyNot is offline   Reply With Quote

maryteach

Colorado
Old 01-07-2014, 07:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

It's getting worse here all the time. Things are boiling over in a lot of districts and schools.

YES to all the questions, except the life outside the classroom part. That may be because I'm in middle. I'm not required to turn in lesson plans (the day that starts is the day I walk out the door). I've read on here about some teachers who have to turn in ridiculously detailed plans.

But it's getting worse in Colorado all the time.

You've given me an idea for my own poll.
maryteach is offline   Reply With Quote

linda2671

Old 01-07-2014, 07:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Do they want to quit? I don't think so. We have a very low turnover in our building. When people come, they usually spend their whole career there.
Are they completely worn out? There are times when we are all worn out, but there are also times when we are relaxed.
Do they feel they are having unreasonable demands made on them? Sometimes. It's frustrating when we have to prove we're doing what we're supposed to when they used to just trust us that we knew what to do.
Are they allowed to have a life outside of the classroom? That's not a problem in our school. Our superintendent does not like for us to come in on weekends. We have to ask for the weekend pass if we need to work in the building. This is actually very frustrating for our teachers because we feel like we need to spend time in our classrooms on the weekends to be prepared for the week.
Are they actually being required to do more than is humanly possible? No. That's not a problem here.
Are they required to use skills that they have never been shown/taught how to do? No. We have a lot of new stuff going on, but we are always given inservice.
Our principals are very understanding. We're all in this together. We all feel pressure from the government, but not from our administration.
Do you see discouragement in the veterans as well as newbies? No, I really think the new teachers are more discouraged than veterans. The veterans have seen the pendulum swing, and we know that this too shall pass.
Do you still have veterans on your campus? About half of our teachers are veterans.
Are your teachers expected to work in a climate of continual and increasing chaos? No, we're pretty much in control of the climate in our classrooms. There are high expectations, but we are still in control.
linda2671 is offline   Reply With Quote

Wise1

Also in Texas
Old 01-07-2014, 07:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

And everyone at my school would definitely quit if they could. Our district took over a failing one and we are in terrible shape right now trying to fix things.
Wise1 is offline   Reply With Quote

eliza4one

Old 01-07-2014, 09:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I'm in CO in a district that is embracing reform. Our district has lost many, many teachers the past 3-4 years.

We are tired. We are overwhelmed. We are weary. We are beaten down. We are not supported. We are not appreciated. We are not listened to.

Yes to all of the questions above. Our school alone lost 30% of its veteran teachers last year. They weren't ready to retire, still had the love and passion. However, the district's mandates, disrespect, etc. was too much.

I don't know how much longer I can do this, honestly. My sadness comes from the public's lack of knowledge or understanding. Even my own children (now out on their own) just don't get it. It's defeating and disheartening.
eliza4one is offline   Reply With Quote

Miller

Old 01-09-2014, 05:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I am in an "exemplary school". I came from a low SES title 1 school

Do they want to quit? no
Are they completely worn out? yes
Do they feel they are having unreasonalble demands made on them? yes
Are they allowed to have a life outside of the classroom? of course
Are they actually being required to do more than is humanly possible? one human's impossibility is another's conquest
Are they required to use skills that they have never been shown/taught how to do? no
Do they feel they are given little support from other "shareholders?" no
Do you see discouragement in the veterans as well as newbies? yes because things have changed so much since the 'veterans' have started. For newbies it's overwhelming
Do you still have veterans on your campus?yes...but in the low SES schools, they're all retiring ASAP
Are your teachers expected to work in a climate of continual and increasing chaos? chaos of the school system or kids? As far as the system goes, yes...common core has helped with that chaos. For kids, no. In low SES schools, kids...yes because there's no discipline at home and the school can only do so much.
Miller is offline   Reply With Quote

MsMonkey

Yes!
Old 01-09-2014, 07:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

This year has been incredibly intense and overwhelming. There is more to do than ever and less time to available to get it done because of all of the extra meetings and "training" we're having this year. It is not possible to get EVERYTHING we're being asked to do done... and that's coming from someone who does not have a life outside of work at this point! I am up and down all of the time about whether or not I want to continue teaching, and we haven't even talked about what our new evaluation system will look like. Everyone on the campus is feeling overworked, even the ones who don't really put a whole lot of energy into the job... Even scraping by with the bare minimum takes more effort at this point. (Sorry, but we all know that there are a few teachers out there who do that.) I keep wondering what is going to happen... Will teachers just start dropping like flies? But then I'll have a good day or week with my class and fee like I love the job too much to leave. Other times, when I feel like I could walk away, I wonder what options are even available to me. I hope my ramble makes sense, if not, it's because I'm too exhausted from working 14 hours a day!
MsMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

claudiann

We have
Old 01-09-2014, 07:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Nine who have given notice we are retiring this year. I wouldn't be surprised if there aren't a few more who will announce it later in the year. One of these blessed is me. Blessed because I can get insurance through husband, so will be able to afford to retire at 57. Never in my wildest dreams....thought I'd always go to sixty-five. Can't stand the way our school is headed. In Indiana. Tony Bennett's and Mitch Daniel's legacy: destroy and dismantle public schools.
claudiann is offline   Reply With Quote

whistler

sad sad sad
Old 01-11-2014, 06:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

Veterans and mid-career teachers are totally worn out. Newbies, too- but for different reasons. Kids are fine. It's all the other stuff we need to do: countless assessments, paperwork, conferences, conferences about conferences- well, you get the idea. I'm doing plenty of new things this year (20+ years) which I love, but I'm planning to say goodbye in 2 years, if I last this long. It's just not sustainable.
whistler is offline   Reply With Quote