Help

Daily 5

read aloud help

>

firstyear2009

read aloud help
Old 03-28-2010, 11:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm starting CAFE after Easter break. Question: When you do a read aloud for whole group and small group instruction for mini lesson, should the book be at the students' reading levels?

firstyear2009 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tea"cheer"

Old 03-28-2010, 11:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

This is my first year using CAFE, so I don't know for sure that I am correct...but it sure has worked with my kids!

When I use a read aloud for my whole group, it is usually a comprehension mini-lesson, so the book is most likely not at the majority of the kids' independent reading levels.

In my small group instruction, the books that I would model with are going to be pretty close to, if not right at, their independent or instructional reading levels. My main focus would be the strategy they are working on, so some of the kids may be a level or two away though.
Tea"cheer" is offline   Reply With Quote

jajohns

They don't
Old 03-28-2010, 11:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

need to be on students' reading levels. Since you're reading the books to the kids, they can be at whatever "listening" level your students need. If I'm teaching an accuracy strategy, I often use poems, big books, or short leveled text. However, if I'm demonstrating a comprehension or vocabulary lesson, I find that picture books work best. You can also use the same book to teach several strategies (at different times), or read the book before the minlesson and just use exerpts during your minilesson. This helps keep the minilessons short, and allows students to enjoy the story before focusing on strategies with it. Good luck to you!
jajohns is offline   Reply With Quote

friskykitty

Old 03-31-2010, 08:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I teach two mini lessons. 1 tied to writing 1 tied to reading comprehension/vocabulary strategies. They are not tied to the children's reading level. I am trying to give mini lessons based on curriculum framework issued by the state, and based on the needs of most students. I always use a "mentor text" for these lessons so the kids get two books a day read to them. Or, at least part of the text read to them.I teach 4th grade, so occasionally i will pull a chapter from a book to tie to teh Cafe strategy/curriculum framework
friskykitty is offline   Reply With Quote