Help

Magnolia Room

Getting more appropriate hopes and dreams

>

singsong

Getting more appropriate hopes and dreams
Old 08-15-2010, 08:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I teach 1st and have had trouble with this. Last year, my students wrote things like, "I hope I learn to ski this winter", or, "I hope I can play on the playground", or I even had, "I hope I learn my letters" from a student who already knew their letters well! I've tried guiding them, but I'm hesitant to step in too much. Suggestions?

minmam

I've had that trouble too...
Old 08-16-2010, 05:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I've found that having a guided discussion before hand helps, usually after talking about many of things they'll be learning this year. We study the arctic, rainforest, oceans, and insects, in addition to units of study in reading, writing, math. This usually gets them excited for at least one topic to focus on to write their h&d for 1st grade (not life). It's funny, I use to stress about the "I want to ski" comments. Now, I think they're priceless...so sweet.

2nd21st

I'll second that
Old 08-17-2010, 06:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I teach 1st as well and try to "prep" them for ideas also by talking about some of the things we will be learning and what our job is at school. When ideas start to get off track, I try to guide them back to a school related goal so we can reflect on it as the year goes on. We are also an RC school, so luckily, they have been through the experience once before already, which seems to help a little too.

singsong

That's what I'll do!
Old 08-17-2010, 07:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I'll just do a better job of previewing all the wonderful things we're going to learn this year. I really don't think I've done a good enough job with that and I'm not sure why! You are right about the sweetness, tho, b/c this past June when I was putting together their portfolios, I slapped that in there right towards the front and they really made me smile.

Wow, you are lucky to be a RC school. That would be super nice to have that consistency throughout. Thanks, both of you, for taking the time to share your ideas!

grammie I

I wish our school was
Old 08-20-2010, 07:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

There is only a handful of teachers in our school that does RC.