Help

Magnolia Room

A student didn't want to do the greeting

>

funteacher7

A student didn't want to do the greeting
Old 08-17-2010, 06:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

What should I do? One of my students did not want to do the simple hand shake greeting. I said I would talk with her privately. Any ideas?

vateach

not a choice
Old 08-17-2010, 06:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I would just say, "it's not a choice." Instead of making a fuss when she refuses the first time, I'd skip her and then let her know that everyone participates in greeting everyday. Most of my kids who refuse just say "okay" and do it after that.

Evergreen

Old 08-17-2010, 12:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Responsive Classroom is all about the student's Social Emotional learning. Some kids (and even adults) are very shy, and especially don't like being forced into something they're uncomfortable doing. It's possible that the kid they were supposed to greet bullies them, or did something to that child. I never force a child to participate. However, I would speak to them privately and explain that morning meeting will be taking place every day in our classroom, and that everyday the class will be doing a greeting, sharing, an activity and the news & announcements...I would ask why they chose not to participate and then see if we can come up with a solution for it (specified seating etc).

funteacher7

Old 08-18-2010, 06:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thanks! I did have a private conference and she said she didn't like her name so didn't want to say it. However, she came in this morning with her mom saying that I told her to to stop fixing her shoe. Actually I told her to put her shoes on. Her mom told her she didn't want her lying and wasn't going to put up with it. The child said she wanted out of my class. I told her it's not her choice. And she was crying. I asked her why and she couldn't tell me. Now she is in the clinic because her "head" hurts. so weird. She did participate in meeting though.

Mrs. R :)

funteacher
Old 08-20-2010, 10:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

This is going to be "your child". I can see it already!

You came to the RC Approach and she came to you. I want to encourage you to keep coming back to the books, this room, the RC Blog, the RC Archive and any other resource that will encourage and support you as you work with her and her family.

Be persistant. Be reflective. Be consistent. Use all the tools RC has given you. Believe in her and believe in what you know.

This is a wonderful oppoortunity for you both! You are already doing what is best by thinking through what is going on with her. Keep it up!