Help

Magnolia Room

chime for quiet signal

>

rSquirrel

chime for quiet signal
Old 08-19-2010, 08:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I was wanting to use a chime as the quiet signal, so that when i ring it they stop what they are doing and pay attention to the instructions.

The only thing though is that I already use the chime for Daily 5. I ring it and the kids know to tidy up quickly and quietly and come back to the carpet.

Would it be confusing to use this for both? I don't want to ring it during Daily 5 and they stop and look at me. I want them to just know when they hear it to tidy up and come back during D5.

Should I use 2 different sounding ones?

Another question...

After the morning meeting I want to go right into my mini lesson for D5. The kids though would have to sit for another 7-10 minutes or so. I saw someone suggest having 2 meeting spaces...one for morning meeting..and then after they get up and do a quick exercise on the way to the carpet ..(example...crab walk there) and then I would start my mini lesson at the carpet area. Do you think that would work? Any other suggestions?

I would have to have my morning meeting take place in the library area and then the kids would move to the carpet area after. Those are the places I have carpets down and the rest of the room is linoleum. (sp?)

Thanks everyone

Mrs. R :)

Hey rsquirrel!
Old 08-20-2010, 10:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I think that's me that you're talking about... with the 2 meeting areas. It totally works, especially for those sensory issues that I tend to have in my room. It gives a natural brain and body break that feels very organic. I'd say go for it!

rSquirrel

Old 08-20-2010, 01:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

haha of course it was you!!!

any ideas about the quiet signal chime?

Use 2
Old 08-20-2010, 02:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I used 2 different signals; one for Daily 5 and one for everything else. I used The Attention Getter that has an electronic rooster, race song and tarzan call. The kids loved it. But, I taught them with the Interactive Modeling and they worked well. You'll also teach other types of signals (hand up for a quiet signal, the words "circle up" to call them for morning meeting) so I think RC might say don't use too many auditory signals (bells chimes and whistles), and when you use them be consistent.

pitta

Exactly
Old 08-20-2010, 03:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

These are exactly the same questions I had, thank you rSquirrel for asking. I have two meeting areas too but one is for LA and the other for Math so I was wondering meet in the math area and have morning meeting then move to the LA carpet with all my D-5 charts to do the focus lessons????
I think using two signals is a good idea, I thought to use my chimes for D-5 transition and hand in the air for the other signal. This seems like a hard signal to teach because its only auditory (wait I just had an idea, maybe I could have an auditory signal with the hand signal). I need to work this out... any other ideas?

rSquirrel

Old 08-20-2010, 04:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I like the hand up for the quiet signal....but that won't really work if everyone is off playing at centres and i want to get their attention. That would need an auditory one no?

I think hand signal is good when you have everyone on the carpet and they are continuing to talk...at an assembly..etc..a place where they are already gathered? I don't know..lol

I have a wind chime right now for my D5 transitions..what other sound thing could I use for a quiet signal?

Last edited by rSquirrel; 08-20-2010 at 04:50 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 08-20-2010, 05:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I agree that the hand signal is more for working with a group (small or large) to get their attention. An auditory signal is better with spread out situations; you could also use a bell or hand clapping.

Here's an interesting read about signals!
http://www.responsiveclassroom.org/blog/?p=1633

maryw

magic wand
Old 08-21-2010, 06:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I just ordered mine so can't tell you what they sound like but I've seen several people post about them. Apparently you thump it on a desk and is makes a nice sound (I envision a tuning fork type sound but don't really know yet)It might not be enough different from your chime so not certain if it would work foryou. You can get them at the Treeblocks. com but when I did a search just now I noticed another site called magicwands that also had them.

pitta

signals
Old 08-22-2010, 04:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Last year actually we counted down from five. I would raise my hand and count down from 5 to 0. This year I will practice it more diligently (last year I would sometimes have to say ZERO! ZERO! that was annoying) and by 5 I will expect them all to have raised their hands by 0. I think that should work for the other signal (and keep my beautiful melodious D-5 transition signal).