Help

Daily 5

Daily 5 in 5th Grade

>

LeoGirl728

Daily 5 in 5th Grade
Old 09-03-2010, 08:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This year a member of my team and I have decided to try and start the year utilizing the Daily 5 ... or maybe just the Daily 3 to start... We love the I PICK strategy for picking "good fit" books.. and the idea of the kids being able to do independent reading...

I have been researching and looking through past PT posts and it seems like all the Daily 5 users are in the younger grades. ( K-2) Does anyone use this in the upper grades? Do you think it is to late to implement it?

If anyone has any suggestions or materials it would be greatly appreciated. I am really eager to give this a go in my classroom... I want my kids to read better and love to read...

LeoGirl728 is offline   Reply With Quote

trishg1

Old 09-03-2010, 09:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Check out the group Daily 5 in Upper Elementary. I love D5 in 5th & 6th grades
trishg1 is offline   Reply With Quote

SuzyM

D5 in upper grade
Old 09-03-2010, 04:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I am also new to this Daily 5 structure and I love it. I have always dreaded centers. I am now on day 10 of Daily 5. I have adjusted the introductions of activities to suit my class. My fourth grade students are doing Read to Self and Word Work now. They ask, "When are we going to have Daily 5?" They really like it and they are all doing it! I have done some individual student fluency checks and I was able to do them without any interuptions! I am adding in Read to Someone next week. Our whole school is starting to get into this.

Last edited by SuzyM; 09-03-2010 at 05:35 PM..
SuzyM is offline   Reply With Quote

leighon13

Response to Suzym
Old 09-04-2010, 08:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I teach 5th as well and I'm curious how you plan to structure your read to someone round. In the past, my kids got was too noisy, and it became more like social time. How will you partner them up and what will they read? Thanks!
leighon13 is offline   Reply With Quote

trishg1

Read with someone
Old 09-04-2010, 10:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I'm not SuzyM, but I'll tell you what I've done. I have taken.

1- Read with Someone is an option for pairs or small groups. We use AR, and I have several sets of novels. If a novel is 3 points or less, I'll let them read aloud to one another. Some kids like this, some don't. If a novel is more than 3 points, they form a literature circle and I help them with the structure. They enter into a reading agreement, and have discussions over the book during D5.

2- Read to Class- I schedule my students to read to the primary. Each week I will have 4 students practicing a picture book and building fluency during daily 5. It is not an option, but they enjoy it.

trishg1 is offline   Reply With Quote

shaddybaby

Old 09-04-2010, 02:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I teach 5th grade as well and love using D5 & CAFE in the classroom. When doing read to self my kids have to complete a trifold that goes along with the basal story we are reading. We are required to teach using the basal so that is how I work it in. The trifold has questions that go along with the story and it helps set a purpose for reading. After they finish the day's section on the trifold they can read anything else they want.

I worked with a friend and we made task cards that go along with the basal story, spelling words, and vocabulary words. We have 2 sets of spelling task cards, vocabulary dominos, and a set of sequencing cards that go along with the story. We are using these during word work.

I set up a wiki for some of the 5th grade teachers in my school system to share ideas that they use with the basal. It may give you an idea of something you could do as well.
5thgradereadingresourcesmcboe.w ikispaces.com

Hope this helps!
shaddybaby is offline   Reply With Quote