Help

Fifth Grade

Reading Notebook

>

leighon13

Reading Notebook
Old 07-26-2011, 05:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Just curious how some of you set up your readers notebooks for RW. I was thinking of having the kids tab different sections for response, guided reading, book log etc. Any suggestions? I feel like I change it every year!

leighon13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lalli82

Reader Response Journals
Old 07-26-2011, 06:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

My students all have a reader response journal. The first part of the notebook is a reading list that they will keep throughout the year of books they read (they also have to code genre, level of the book, finish date, etc.). Also, there is a place where they can write titles of books they want to read or topics that interest them (I got each of those forms from the Fountas and Pinell book Guiding Readers).

The next section is a genre study. We always begin the year talking about each of the different genres and examples of each. This way when they have to label the genre of the books they read they have a resource to refer back to.

Next is a letter writing section. Each week they have to either write a letter to me or a peer buddy about a book they are reading and how they are incorporating the skills/strategies we talk about in class. This is a great assessment piece to show that they do understand and are able to apply our skills to what they read independently.

Finally, there is a section for any notes that they take during our whole group mini-lessons.

I have really enjoyed the notebooks, because everything is all right there together, plus I have proof that my students are learning and practicing the skills/strategies taught. Hope this helps!!
Lalli82 is offline   Reply With Quote

missbrooks

Old 07-26-2011, 08:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Do you use notebooks or binders? I used the notebooks last year but am thinking a tab on the notebook (like dividers in bonders) just might be the ticket.....maybe coloured paperclips?
missbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote

CheleOh

Old 07-26-2011, 01:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

My kids have binders. In the binders are 5 dividers.

1) Records (log of genres/books read; stamina charts, etc.)
2) Goals & Evals (shortened it to fit on tabs ... lol ... where they keep potential future book lists, any self-evaluations, goal-setting, copies of my evaluations, etc.)
3) Handouts (any and all reference things I give to them for guided or individual reading skills and strategies)
4) Notes (a place for ... um ... notes. :-))
5) Journal (there's a tab for it, but they keep their Reading Journal [a spiral] in the back of their binder - that way its weight doesn't affect the other papers nor the binding/rings as much. They are responsible for writing me a letter each week. I collect & grade them every other week on staggered days so I'll only have 2 each night & 6 on the weekends.)

HTH,
Chele :-)
CheleOh is offline   Reply With Quote

Lalli82

Mine used spiral notebooks
Old 07-27-2011, 03:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We just separated the sections by folding down one of the pages and writing on that fold as the label. It is cheap and easy to do. We have a poorer school, so our kids (nor myself) can afford to buy large amounts of binders and tabs. This works well for us

Lalli82 is offline   Reply With Quote

MSRead

Binders too..
Old 07-29-2011, 06:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Chele, I am lucky enough to have binders be on the list of school supplies when I was hired this year. I really like the idea of your binders too and they sound like how I am planning on doing mine. I am curious what grade do you teach?

MSRead
MSRead is offline   Reply With Quote

mooseweaver

I do it . . .
Old 07-29-2011, 06:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

very similar to Lalli . . . but I use composition books--I get those spirals all tangled up! Because I do Daily 5 I also have a section of a few pages where we record the students current strategy and goal.
mooseweaver is offline   Reply With Quote

mr.pateach

Easy Tabs
Old 07-29-2011, 09:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I read some of you fold down pages to separate sections. In our science notebooks we glue (liquid) small post-its or cut pieces of card stock to make them more sturdy at the edge of the page like tabs in a binder. The students then design the cover page of each section with words/pics related to the section.
mr.pateach is offline   Reply With Quote

MSRead

Old 07-29-2011, 03:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Great idea! Dividers didn't get put on my supply list so I am trying to think of something that I can do cheap and easy that will last all year for the students...in my ideal world I would like to be able to type and print these out on my computer so they would be ready to go by the time school started!

MSRead
MSRead is offline   Reply With Quote
pmendelson

pmendelson

tabs
Old 08-01-2011, 08:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I have made divider tabs by using 3x3 post it notes and folding them in half.