Help

Books, Guided Reading & Literature

word journeys activites

>

leighon13

word journeys activites
Old 08-10-2011, 02:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My district uses Word Journeys and Mindful of Words for spelling. Just curious, what are some activites you have the kids do during the week? I want to revamp my word work part of D5, but I always get stuck on finding easy to manage activites for all levels. Thanks!

leighon13 is offline   Reply With Quote

FL

here are a few...
Old 08-13-2011, 05:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

if I find my file I will add more...here are the ones that I quickly thought of. We also used Word Journeys...
1. Story-choose 10 words and write a story that incorporates the words. Story must make sense and be at least 10 sentences in length. When story is done BOX each of your spelling words with a PURPLE crayon.
2. Definitions-choose 10 challenging or new-to you words to fill in the chart. chart has a place for word/ part of speech/ definition and use it in a sentence
3. Money Code-You could adapt this to any grade level to any math that you are currently working on. Example A=$.23
4. Picture Captions- Chose a picture and a related word from your list. Write a caption that goes along with the picture using one or more of your Spelling words- I had laminated pics from several magazines, they were numbered and the kids had to write the number next to the caption so I could check.
5. Color Code- Students use the following code and write their words.
Consonants= Blue
Vowels=Red
6. Alphabetical Order and Reverse Alphabetical Order
7. Crossword puzzle-I usually have them work in partners for this activity. Pick 8 spelling words, 4 across and 4 down using their definitions as clues.
FL is offline   Reply With Quote