Help

Magnolia Room

You break it, you fix it

>

pen&paper

You break it, you fix it
Old 12-14-2011, 07:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I know this one of the principles (or tenets) of RC, but what does it mean? Okay, if you are in a store and if you break something, you probably should pay for it. But in a classroom? How does that work? Maybe I'm thinking of other issues here, like kids who talk too much so they don't get their work done. Can you share some examples?

rSquirrel

Old 12-14-2011, 09:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We have applied it to feelings in our class. So same as in a store you break it you fix it..by paying for it.

In the classroom ..say you said something unkind to someone....We say you broke their feelings and you need to fix it. Sometimes saying sorry isnt enough so you need to do something to make them feel better. This is where apology of action comes in. You have to do something for the child that is age appropriate and relevant to the situation to make them feel better.

So you call someone stupid...an apology of action might be to write a list of all the things that child is great at.