Special Education

Phonics vs sight word reading

>

Michel8

Michel8

Phonics vs sight word reading
Old 09-12-2012, 01:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am a special ed teacher. I work with a student who has Aspergers. What is your opinion on phonics vs sight words? I am a strong believer in sight words but am curious if anyone has ever done and been successful with phonics with a student who has aspergers?

Thanks
M

dee

Not one or the other
Old 09-12-2012, 04:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

You can't memorize every word out there!

Asperger kids often do well with phonics becuase of the "rules." Then again, there are so many exceptions so it can be frustrating for them too.

I have had great success with Fry words. The first 300 high frequency words are used in 70% of print for elementary students, so if they can learn these, they gain confidence quickly and can "feel" as though they are getting better.

If you google "Fry high- frequency" of "Fry first 100" "Fry first 200", etc there are some powerpoint slides that are done and my kids liked trying to beat their time. There are phrases as well. Dr. Fry has a bunch of books now- just google. Lots of stuff online that other people have done.
dee is offline   Reply With Quote

spedkidsrock

Old 09-12-2012, 09:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

If your student is older I'd only focus on the non-phonetic sight words that need to be memorized. Some sight words are perfectly phonetic and don't need to be memorized.

I've also had a student on the spectrum who has a phenomenal memory. He was able to memorize the spelling of his words with ease.
spedkidsrock is offline   Reply With Quote