Special Education

Question about Being "Highly Qualified" for SPED

>

ELATeacher88

ELATeacher88

Question about Being "Highly Qualified" for SPED
Old 09-28-2012, 06:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This pertains to middle/secondary SPED teachers, but some elementary teachers may know the answer. If you co-teach with different teachers--ELA, Math, Science--do you need to be certified in those content areas as well in order to be "highly qualified"?

FYI - I'm a secondary Eng teacher who was thinking about becoming certified in SPED.

Thanks!

sp ed in TX

Old 09-28-2012, 07:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

In order to be "highly qualified" in Texas you have to be certified in all the subjects. Luckily in Texas for the middle school you can get the Generalist which will qualify you to teach anything (you will need the sp ed cert also). Having said that many school districts will still want you to go get the certifications in every area so that they can move you around between levels easier and it makes them look better on the reports.

High school is much harder now. You have to be certified in each subject so start looking at the composits.

In this political climate and with all the lay offs we are facing every year, it does not hurt to make it very hard to lay you off. The more certifications you have the more they want to keep you for the federal reports.
sp ed in TX is offline   Reply With Quote

expertteacher

Here in LA
Old 09-28-2012, 03:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

You would need to pass the Praxis exam for a middle school content area in addition to having your SPED certification to be considered highly qualified. It seems like all you need to do is get your SPED certification. The LA Dept. of Ed. has a website that tells you what you need to do. Maybe your state has one as well. Hope this helps a little.
expertteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Miller

Old 09-28-2012, 05:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I was middle then got a job in 1st grade so I went the elem. route. In Louisiana, no, you don't have to get certified/hq in each content area.
Miller is offline   Reply With Quote