Special Education

Social Stories

>

expertteacher

Social Stories
Old 09-14-2012, 04:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello All,

A couple of weeks ago someone posted about using social stories with autistic students.i found a website that has some stories that I thought might be appropriate. My student is labeled as developmental delay and does not have a diagnosis of autism; however in my opinion the student has autistic characteristics.

My questions for those familiar with those with autism and social stories are:

1. The student seemed to respond well to the story the 1st couple of readings. Now he is not paying much attention. The parent suggested that I try a different version of the same story. Where can I find stories that are high quality and engaging on the same topic?

2. I read the story once a day and remind the student of the appropriate behavior using the sign from the story when the incorrect behavior emerges. This does not consistently get the student to engage in the desired behavior. Any suggestions on frequency of reading the story and effective ways to remind the student of correct behavior? What is the correct way to implement social stories.

3. I would like to introduce a new social story for a different behavior. How long should i wait before staring a new story? What is the corre t procedure?

4. What suggestions do you have for working with students who have autistic charecteristics, refuse to do most academic work, lives in fantasy land, and causes a general disruption?

Thank you

expertteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

kbach

Sandbox
Old 09-14-2012, 04:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Have you tried sandbox learning? They have several. Also, just google _______ social story (waiting social stories, toiletiing social stories etc.) and often you will find them. When in doubt, write one!! Take pictures of the student so it is truly about him/her.
kbach is offline   Reply With Quote

expertteacher

Thank you
Old 09-14-2012, 06:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I am new to social stories. I heard of them the first time on this board. Is sandbox a website? Are there guidelines for writing social stories? One website I found made it seem complex with all of the components that needed to be present.

Thanks for your help.
expertteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

PPCDTeacher

Old 09-14-2012, 07:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I use ones that i write. My kids never seem to get tired of them. The ones you buy are way too expensive for me. I use boardmaker to do the pictures, and sometimes just clipart.
PPCDTeacher is online now   Reply With Quote

kbach

Yes!
Old 09-15-2012, 05:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Sandbox learning is a website that lets you personalize social stories. They aren't cheap but if you have a few students that need the same story, they might be worth it. If nothing else, it could help you write your own.

kbach is offline   Reply With Quote

grade3teacher

Old 09-24-2012, 05:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Are you using any other behavior management techniques with the social stories?

You may have to change your approach, but be consistent with the behavior you are trying to correct.

One of my students is very stereotypical autistic. We model the correct behavior frequently, praise when ever we see the appropriate behavior. The 2 best strategies is 'first, then' and "What I'm working for" We fill in an activity or item of their choice, the student must get 3-4 stars, smiley faces, check marks, whatever to earn the preferred item.
Depending on if she is having a hard time keeping it together, the time between reward is shortened. If it is a good day we stretch the time out.

Bottom line don't give up. Show the student that hard work and following rules is rewarded. We have good days and bad days, but the good days are very rewarding when they do come along.

I was so worried that I would be able to continue making progress with this student. The guidance counselor told me today how much better she thought my student was doing. Even we need positive reinforcement.
grade3teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

rosaclinic

Old 10-01-2012, 06:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

hi congratulations for the progress of your student . this "don't give up" stretegy works for me too when i get frustrated and find no possitive responce from my students.
rosaclinic is offline   Reply With Quote