Help

The VENT

All hands (not) on deck

>

Zephie

All hands (not) on deck
Old 05-15-2019, 06:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Tomorrow is the last day of school and the big evening awards assembly. We have to have every report card and award ready by 8:15 AM tomorrow. This is the only day of the year outside of staff meeeting days that we are contractually required to work late, with the caveat that we can leave when all report cards and awards are finished for our own classes.

Two teachers announced in a huff that they couldnít stay even though their report cards werenít even finished. As in, not even all grades entered into their paper grade books. I took a two and a half hour break to eat and recharge, came up and finished my report cards (the most tedious skills based cards in the school), got my awards sheet ready, turned it in, and then have been helping the principal to finish the other two teachersí work along with the secretary.

I get sometimes you canít stay, but at least enter your grades and fill out the forms while your class tears down the room. Their kids were finished testing as of yesterday. Mine didnít finish till today and it was a field trip day.

Oh, and the secretary has her five year old so here while she works because her husband is out on the rigs out of country right now. They love almost an hour away. Heís going to be tired tomorrow.

Itís 9:02 and I just told my P that Iím leaving soon. She told me to go rest because she knows I get migraines and Iíve been doing ďnot my jobĒ stuff. I know sheís hurt that half her staff has decided not to fullfill their contractual obligations. I guess itís no surprise itís the two staff that are finishing out their contracts and leaving.

Zephie is offline   Reply With Quote

1totravel

Old 05-15-2019, 06:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

It seems to me that she has the power to be more than just hurt by it. If they did not meet their contractual hourly obligation for a late day, couldn't their pay be docked? It certainly happens elsewhere.
1totravel is offline   Reply With Quote

desert flower

Old 05-15-2019, 06:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

These two staff members were unprofessional. They were contractually obligated to stay. Your P should of held this over their head.
desert flower is offline   Reply With Quote

Zephie

Hold over head
Old 05-15-2019, 06:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

She reminded them about the contract. They chose to leave. Whatever their consequences are from our P, one will be me raising hell over doing their report cards.

GreyhoundGirl

Old 05-15-2019, 06:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I donít know why you were doing their report cards. If they chose not to get them done then it was either the Pís job or they just didnít get done.

That was certainly not your circus and not your monkeys. You are being taken advantage of. I hope you got paid for doing their job and they get docked.

GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Zephie

Old 05-15-2019, 06:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I am getting paid for it. She having it added to my end of month check.

Keltikmom

Leaving coworkers
Old 05-16-2019, 06:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I wouldnít have done the report cards, no matter how much $ I made. Those two teachers most likely knew someone else would do their work so they got away with it.

I would love to hear back from you regarding the consequences.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

Wow...
Old 05-16-2019, 08:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

The principal is setting a bad precedent here. If the contract says that teachers need to be there to finish their end-of-the-year clerical duties, unless it's an emergency she okays, it is not acceptable for those teachers to dump their work responsibilities regardless of whether you are getting paid for it or not. And how does she determine the amount you get paid for doing the work of others?

Our report cards are computerized, so we can work on them from home, school, or anywhere else by logging on. If people showing up to complete them is an issue, maybe you can suggest that they be computerized so these people would not have any excuse for having to do it on the last day.

Just curious, what would the principal have done if you had not stepped up? Are these slacker teachers disciplined in some way? My principal would definitely not put up with this situation unless it was a real emergency of some sort for the teachers involved.

You are a team player, but I don't see allowing this situation benefiting anyone. I hope you are feeling okay and did not get a migraine.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

HoHumBeachBum

Old 05-16-2019, 09:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Once in a while I'll step up and do something I most certainly didn't have to do. And you better believe that I cash in the brownie point(s) when I need to (or whenever I just feel like doing so).
HoHumBeachBum is offline   Reply With Quote

cheerio

Old 05-16-2019, 09:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Why is all this being done so last minute?? Iíve never heard of leaving report cards and awards to be done till the night before. Here our drafts are due like 10 days before the end of the year which allows time for reviews and edits. Seems to me like the deadline needs to be earlier. No one should be scrambling the night before. As for the other 2 thereís no way Iíd be doing their report cards. This whole situation sounds like a disorganized mess. I know you are in a private school and things work differently than public schools but seems like your P needs to change things for next year.

cheerio is offline   Reply With Quote

Zephie

Old 05-16-2019, 11:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Kids were testing up to yesterday. Unfortunately our computerized system crashed last week and weíve had to redo everything by hand.

I actually slept pretty decently last night, just not much of it. I also got the easiest duties today for end of school. They had conferences with the P first thing this morning and the crappy grunt work all day. Iíve gotten to slowly finish my kids memory books, play games, and chill.
diddlySquat

diddlySquat

Didly
Old 05-16-2019, 11:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I am so sorry that you're so frustrated. I would be too.

However, I'm just on the other side of the road sort of speak here. I am on a contract and I'm continually scheduled to do work before and after my contract hours. Even though, they haven't told me, we know they're expecting me to participate in after school activities as well. Well, no I'm not doing it. I am not a full time employee. I get no benefits at all whenever I am scheduled to work before or after my contract hours. It gets old. The rest of the employees think I am a full time employee and continue also to scheduled meeting before or after my contract hours.

I really look down upon this. Having said that I would have entered my grades though even if from home.

travelingfar

Ugh
Old 05-16-2019, 12:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I don't understand why you and the principal did work that the two teachers should have done. Instead of being hurt, your principal should have held them responsible and not enabled them to not do their report cards.

I realize that you were trying to be helpful, but sometimes doing other people's work is not beneficial to anyone in the long run.

Nonetheless I'm glad today was a good one.

Last edited by travelingfar; 05-17-2019 at 04:05 AM..
travelingfar is offline   Reply With Quote

forkids2

Old 05-16-2019, 02:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I'm glad you got the easy duties and had a nice day. You deserved it and sounds like the P appreciated what you did.
forkids2 is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

Your prince
Old 05-16-2019, 04:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

had very little to exercise control over teachers who have already resigned as of the end of the year. Of course, I'm sure she'll mention shirking of contractual obligations in her letter of reference
and maybe dock their pay, but that's about all. You can't hold people in their jobs at gunpoint.

I'm sure she very much appreciated your help and will remember your willingness to support the school and her.

But that kind of thing doesn't happen at a bigger school or at a public school. I'd still like you to look around, but it's your life and career and nothing to do with me. You are the one who knows your needs. I just think you deserve lots of goodness and as little teacher-stress as possible in your life.

Enjoy your ending of school time with your students.
broomrider is online now   Reply With Quote

Zephie

Old 05-16-2019, 08:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I got home today, made myself a good meal, and am currently realizing why one of them didnít bother yesterday.

She turned her key in during the end of year reception. It didnít bother her at all. Just walked up to the P, handed her the key, and walked away.

Right now Iím just contemplating a good nights sleep curled up with my kindle fire reading. Iím just letting the good day I had with my babies be my focus and allowing myself to relax into summer.

LazyLake

Old 05-17-2019, 10:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Your principal is so very lucky to have you at the school. You went out of your way to help finish a job that should have been done by others.

The others will always have the burden of knowing they were not professional and didn't do their jobs. You, on the other hand, will always be proud of your good deed.

Be proud of your work ethics, your kindness, and just your overall personality. The teaching profession, and the world, needs more people like you!
LazyLake is offline   Reply With Quote

UVAgrl928

Old 05-17-2019, 08:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

How did you do report cards for other classes? Wonít their parents be upset by grades someone just made up?
UVAgrl928 is online now   Reply With Quote

Zephie

Report cards
Old 05-17-2019, 11:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

The older grades are averages of grades entered in each teacherís paper gradebook. We took their gradebooks and averaged the grades. Only k-1 has a skills based card.