Help

The VENT

Nervous

>

SoDone

Nervous
Old 05-23-2019, 09:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

and really starting to worry. Every other teacher down my hallway seems to already know where they're going next year (room or subject changes) except me. Our subject's professionalism meetings are this afternoon but the others in the group have already been told something. I've put in 5 years here as a level 4 and level 3 teacher, depending on the year. I know the whole "one door shuts another opens" blah blah blah but as a single mom, I'd really like to know I can spend the summer resting and playing with my daughter rather than desperately searching for a job....

SoDone is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 05-23-2019, 10:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I would guess you haven't been told anything because you're not moving. It seems the others were given advance notice because they're moving subjects or rooms. Check your contract/master agreement to see if there is a date that non-renewals must be notified by. Here, the last day to notify people of that was about 2 months ago. I'm also sure they wouldn't bring you into a team meeting and tell you in front of everyone that you were being let go. If that were the case, they'd meet with you privately beforehand like they did with the people who are moving.

You don't have any sort of seniority or non-probationary status at all? I know tenure has gone by the wayside most places- here too, but we have a "non-probationary" status that is earned starting your 4th year in the district. It's not tenure, but provides some protections regarding steps that admin would have to take prior to getting rid of you- including 2 years in a row of being rated partially proficient or lower (so you couldn't just be blindsided the first year).
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

kerrysgirl

Agree w/ Haley23
Old 05-23-2019, 11:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I was the last one in my dept. to get an assignment for next year...I'm staying in the same room, same grade. Those who had changes to room/schedule got first dibs on meeting times so they could start planning.

Hang in there!
kerrysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

SoDone

Nixed
Old 05-24-2019, 11:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Principal came to my room at the start of planning, handed me my letter of non-renewal, had me sign that I'd received it, and asked when I can get my things out. No reasons no regret on her face. I'll have an exit interview Tuesday. I'm still in shock - I thought for sure they'd move me to another school if the P didn't like me. I've been a consistent level 3-4 teacher there with excellent observations for 5 years. My friends suggested I meet with the Super and be genuine about this year. My thought is, "Do I want to try to save a job under administration who obviously value me that little or do I take the cosmic sign and hope another door opens very quickly?"

PrivateEyes

I'm sorry to hear this
Old 05-24-2019, 01:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

and wish you the best in your job search. There are good principals out there who value hardworking employees.

PrivateEyes is online now   Reply With Quote

jov

Old 05-24-2019, 02:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I'm so sorry this happened to you. I would suck it up at the exit interview and ask for a decent letter of recommendation.
jov is offline   Reply With Quote

elmo33

So sorry
Old 05-24-2019, 04:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

That seems like the worst way they could’ve handled the situation... do you have least seniority? It is probably a money thing and has nothing to do with your teaching... I would look elsewhere...
elmo33 is offline   Reply With Quote

allier

oh, no
Old 05-25-2019, 05:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Dear SoDone:

Is there a Union? Our principal is like this.... no comments, no sit-down talks. If he isn't interested in a staff person, or wants someone is a new position, or wants to change curriculum, etc..., he doesn't talk to anyone, then bam!, the person finds out at a staff meeting or email or through someone else! I'm not sure why/how anyone would treat anyone this way. With our P, it's often because someone up at "Central Headquarters" wants something done a certain way, and he wants to look good in their eyes.

I wish you the best in your job search. Let us know what happens.
allier is offline   Reply With Quote

SoDone

Laws
Old 05-26-2019, 03:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I'm part of my local branch of NEA and I explained the situation to my representative. I don't have tenure and TN is an "at will" state. All she said is that she's had more calls over non-renewals this year than ever before and that the laws need to change. Bottom line though is that I have no recourse. They're perfectly within their rights to non-renew anyone they wish, whenever they wish, and never have to be called to the table over it.

UVAgrl928

Old 06-01-2019, 03:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Did you ever follow up on that evaluation?

UVAgrl928 is online now   Reply With Quote

SoDone

Yes....
Old 06-03-2019, 04:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

but I was told by my rep that the only thing I could do was to disagree with it in the comment section. She said there was no use trying to disputed the scores since I couldn't ask for a re-evaluation (school is out and only had 2 weeks left once I got those scores).