Does anyone work in Las Vegas(Clark county) or Los Angeles(lausd)? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

The VENT

Does anyone work in Las Vegas(Clark county) or Los Angeles(lausd)?

>

Fractured

Does anyone work in Las Vegas(Clark county) or Los Angeles(lausd)?
Old 06-13-2019, 10:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi, think Iím going to have to move to a large district to find employment. Does anyone work here or have friends that could clue me into how tolerable/bad it really is? Pmís Are fine. Thanks

Fractured is offline   Reply With Quote

Coopsgrammy

Las Vegas
Old 06-13-2019, 11:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I don't have any friends teaching in Vegas, but I live in a neighboring state. I know they have good sign on bonus options, and they are in need of teachers.
Coopsgrammy is offline   Reply With Quote

Kinderkr4zy

Old 06-13-2019, 03:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Same as Coopsgrammy-I actually see their advertisements looking for teaching and taking care of portability for you with signing bonuses as well. And is pretty cheap to live in the area. IF I didnt hate the desert weather and think of it as a pit of hell I'd probably be interested myself.
Kinderkr4zy is offline   Reply With Quote

Fractured

Old 06-13-2019, 04:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Itís just supposed to be one of the worst districts around. I think the state is last in education.

all41

Job Opportunities
Old 06-13-2019, 06:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have gotten post cards and brochures from school districts near Denver. These items come unsolicited, in the mail, with my name and address. I have never applied or even looked for jobs in Colorado. I live several states away and have no plans to move there or anywhere so this seems weird to me. They must be in dire need of elementary teachers in that area.

all41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Osha

Osha

Old 06-14-2019, 09:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Wow, hearing about Denver contacting teachers is a blast from the past. I was offered a position with them years ago. Surprised to hear they STILL need teachers. I remember hearing that they went on strike a while ago. I assume that that coupled with the cost of living is causing an ongoing teacher shortage?

sonoma

Old 06-14-2019, 09:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I live in an la suburb and have several friends in lausd.

Pros:

Excellent benefits
Classroom support
Decent salary - even better if the negotiated raise goes through
Strong union

Cons:

Micromanagement - you do not get to make many decisions on what you teach and when you teach
High turnover
Some schools are in very undesirable areas and thatís where the openings are most likely to be

You have the choice of living near work which is very expensive or cheaper housing which means a long commute. And traffic is a nightmare. I live 25 miles from dtla and it is a 2 hour commute during morning rush hour.
sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote

azteach88

Come to Arizona!
Old 06-14-2019, 04:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

If you are considering Vegas, you should look into coming to the Phoenix area. The suburb cities like Chandler, Gilbert, Scottsdale, and Mesa are in need of teachers. The pay may not be the highest, but th3 cost of living is cheaper than L.A. and Vegas.
azteach88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Kinderkr4zy

Old 06-14-2019, 08:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

If you head to the Vegas area will you keep me posted how it goes. The cost of living around here is getting me down again. I'm having the I'll-never-own-a-home-I'll-never-retire blues

I am sure the pay sounds fine here, until you actually try to live on whats left after taxes, pension contributions, and insurance.

This is from zillow about home prices in in the LV area
Quote:
The median home value in Las Vegas is $275,500. Las Vegas home values have gone up 9.4% over the past year and Zillow predicts they will rise 3.4% within the next year. The median list price per square foot in Las Vegas is $169, which is lower than the Las Vegas-Henderson-Paradise Metro average of $169. The median price of homes currently listed in Las Vegas is $299,900 while the median price of homes that sold is $264,100. The median rent price in Las Vegas is $1,500, which is lower than the Las Vegas-Henderson-Paradise Metro median of $1,525.
This is from my area

Quote:
The median home value in the area is $587,900. Home values have gone up 2.8% over the past year and Zillow predicts they will rise 0.4% within the next year. The median list price per square foot in the area is $274. The median price of homes currently listed in the area is $616,282 while the median price of homes that sold is $572,700. The median rent price in in the area is $2,695, which is the same as the median of $2,695.
Kinderkr4zy is offline   Reply With Quote

Fractured

Old 06-15-2019, 09:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Only one ms is hiring and it’s ranked dead last in the state. I guess they aren’t as hard up as I was led to believe.

Fractured

Old 06-16-2019, 12:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Hi Sonoma- I sent you a pm. Thanks.

1totravel

Old 06-17-2019, 09:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I know someone who works for Federal Way school district south of Seattle. She said they have sometimes started the school year with up to three teacher job positions infilled at one school. They were having a hard time even finding people to interview. I was surprised because I know Seattle is a popular area. Just food for thought. Best of luck to you!

Ps. One tricky thing about being hired by a huge district is they sometimes donít tell you until the last minute which school touíll Be working at. If the district has a giant area, like LAUSD, you might conceivably rent an apartment that turns out to be 50 miles from your school...
1totravel is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 06-17-2019, 09:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Quote:
I know someone who works for Federal Way school district south of Seattle. She said they have sometimes started the school year with up to three teacher job positions infilled at one school. They were having a hard time even finding people to interview. I was surprised because I know Seattle is a popular area. Just food for thought. Best of luck to you!
I had a friend who moved to Seattle a couple of years ago and asked me to go with her. She said, "It'll be an adventure!" I never really wanted to, but she kept asking so I looked into it so I could say I did. I could not believe how low the teacher salaries were there compared to the COL. I thought we had it bad here! I would have taken a pay cut and Seattle is a very expensive city. No wonder they can't get people.

Also, FWIW, I'm in Denver and I wouldn't say gen ed elementary is a shortage area, at least not yet. There are less applicants then there used to be so admins can't be as picky as they would like, but I'm talking 50 applicants vs. the 300 we used to see. The shortage areas are the same typical ones as everywhere else- secondary Math and Science, SLPs/Psychs/OTs, certain areas of sped (secondary, affective needs, severe/profound needs).
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Fractured

Old 06-17-2019, 11:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Thanks for the tip, I forgot about Federal Way. Donít think it is a good district and itís below Tacoma, so I think they might have trouble filling the jobs. Everyone in WA either want to be able to commute from Portland or be close to Seattle.

linda2671

My sil went to Las Vegas
Old 06-17-2019, 12:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

She taught there two years and moved on to another state. She said they clean house every couple of years because they don't want to give raises.
linda2671 is offline   Reply With Quote