Help

Daily 5

who's doing daily 5 math?

>

jlfogerty

who's doing daily 5 math?
Old 12-15-2009, 11:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm wondering who's doing this? I've read from Luv2Share's experiences on her blog, wondering if there are any more of you! I want to ramp this up in January after break. Thanks!

jlfogerty is offline   Reply With Quote

McD2

Me!
Old 12-16-2009, 03:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I am using it. We had a great math discussion going a few weeks back. I know searching this board is tough, but if you have time to scroll back you might find it.
McD2 is offline   Reply With Quote

friskykitty

Old 12-16-2009, 10:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Someone educate me. I didn't realize there was a Daily 5 book for math. Link please.
friskykitty is offline   Reply With Quote

McD2

no book...
Old 12-16-2009, 02:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

There isn't a book for math, but there are some (like me) who are trying to figure out how to fit the Daily 5 structure into our math time.

Mine is going well but it just takes more time than my regular math block. So, I am finding that I can use it the way I want everyday. For me, the days it works best, I need a full 60+ minute block of time, and I only have that two days a week for math. =( If I could add on 15-20 minutes to our school day the other three days, I would be all set!

maestra2o

Old 12-16-2009, 08:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I had bookmarked a few of these past discussions. Here are the links:

http://www.proteacher.net/discussion...d.php?t=205595

http://www.proteacher.net/discussion...d.php?t=204489

http://www.proteacher.net/discussion...d.php?t=198962

Hope this helps! I heard somewhere that the sisters might putsome math d5 stuff online in January.

maestra2o is offline   Reply With Quote

jlfogerty

Old 12-16-2009, 11:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Thank you!
I joined their website in August hoping to see the math soon, but it's still not up. January sounds good, hope it happens!
jlfogerty is offline   Reply With Quote

LinzRae

Me too!
Old 12-17-2009, 10:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I've been doing it for maybe a month now and am liking it quite a bit. My math time is shorter than literacy, so I only do two rounds and two mini lessons. So far it is working pretty well, although I'm curious to hear how the sisters do it. I saw them in November and they did say they would have Daily 5 Math info out in January.
LinzRae is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2share

Yippee!
Old 12-18-2009, 06:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

So excited you have been reading my blog! Yippee!!!!!!!

Daily Math is going so well! My day is so structured I love it. Morning 9:00-10:35, Daily Math, 11:20-12:45 ish Daily Five. It is so great!!!

I've changed a few things for Daily Math. I too only have two Rounds. Each round starts with a mini-lesson, just like it does in Daily Five. The kids choices are Meet with the Teacher and then there are 5 game choices. Each day the kids pick Meet with Teacher and then one game. They are encouraged to play a different game everyday. Originally I was going to do the Write Math, Math Challenge, and Math with Someone but if you offer games, games will be chosen. The games I introduced are beneficial so I am okay with the 5 games being their choices. The choice is in which game they choose to play. Meet with the Teacher is when I meet with the groups. This has been working out very well because the kids who are done with their workbook page in two seconds, are not waiting for everyone to be done. The children who need more assistance get it. I love the way it is run!

For the first round 2 groups choose meet with the teacher, one group is playing games. One groups works on the workbook with assistance, the other works on it individually, with a teacher periodically checking in. If they have difficulty they can join the other group. Next round 1 group is doing Meet with the Teacher, 2-3 groups games.

At times we have to review quiet voices, but the talking is always on task. The children LOVE the games! I love seeing them practice the math facts in a fun way.

I too am looking forward to the Daily Math book online. Hope it comes out soon! I can't wait to see the 2 sisters take on it!
luv2share is offline   Reply With Quote

McD2

Can't wait...
Old 12-20-2009, 06:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I can't wait for more advice from the Sisters about math. While I don't feel like I have it all figured out, it is going well enough that I don't want to stop.

At the end of January, I have a student teacher coming. He has been working in our room all during the fall, so the process won't be foreign to him, but I feel like I will need to work hard on the structure again when kids come back in January, so things are smooth when he takes over.

An update from me... My class LOVES Rocket Math or whatever you want to call it. They can practice with each other (so it is on our menu of games under "Get Your Facts Straight"). We call it "Coaching", modeling it after the coaching that readers do during Read to Someone. Several students have moved up levels in just a few weeks. I have parent support at least one day a week, so they kids know that they can take tests with her every Wednesday and they work hard to get ready for that. Thank you PTers for acquainting me with this program!

A Surprise... I expected to to moving through the book faster, differentiating it in this way. Surprise, we're not! I checked my lesson plans from last year and we are actually about a half unit behind. But, looking at things "glass half-full", the kids LOVE doing math, they are practicing skills more in different ways (not just paper pencil) and they are getting more time to practice basic facts, which I know will help them with third grade math. My high kids are more challenged and engaged. I have more time in small groups with my neediest kids. So, it's worth it!

LinzRae

Couple Questions
Old 12-23-2009, 01:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

As I posted earlier, I've been doing D5 Math for a little over a month now and loving it. I was wondering if anyone else is doing Write About Math as one of the jobs. This is one I'm struggling with a little bit. Anyone else doing this and willing to share?

Also, McD2 (or anyone else) could you explain what Rocket Math is?
Thanks!

LinzRae is offline   Reply With Quote

boyled

Trying Math Daily 5 in January
Old 01-01-2010, 12:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I just joined the site to get more info about how you are using the Daily 5 concept with math. I tried a "made up" version during the first semester but found I couldn't teach all of the third grade standards in the time I had. I dropped it, even though my students loved what we were doing. We just couldn't keep up a good pace. How are you going to use it for the second semester of this school year-2009-2010? I would love any ideas.
boyled is offline   Reply With Quote

pitta

HEEEEELP! for D-5 Math
Old 01-03-2010, 12:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I am having such a struggle to make it work for me. I teach grade one and two together. I have 6 twos that are all able to work at about the same level and 11 ones that are can be divided into about two groups, but I found that 6 and 5 were too many in a group so I put them in groups of three. The noise is too much when I am doing a small group lesson so I have arranged them into partners myself ( don't like that). I tried to have them with a different partner every day, that was a headache to set up and never really worked. I introduced games at the beginning of the year, that fall under: Math fact games, number games, strategy games and the computer (it is an old math rabbit cd that has a variety of levelled skills they can choose from). I only have two rounds too. The students get with their partner, I have my group of three and off they go. It gets gradually louder and louder. I haven't been doing mini-lessons but want to start this.
Is there anyone who can give me some tips on how to improve my situation?
pitta is offline   Reply With Quote