Help

Daily 5

Where do I go next...

>

akmom

Where do I go next...
Old 03-27-2010, 08:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have a class of 22 students- 13 of them are reading at a 3rd grade level and on, 5 are on grade level, and the other 4 are in below grade level. I meet with those kids twice in small group and then individually throughout the week.

I'm not sure how to continue with kids who are above level? We use the Houghton Mifflin Series, so we have above leveled readers. Right now I have them choose one of the focuses- making connections, questioning and interesting word choice along with the book that fits the theme each week. They also do listen to reading on the leveled reader as well.

I'm thinking of letting them choose a chapter book, like a book group where they meet on their own with roles or me as the facilitator. They wouldn't have a book to listen to during to listen to reading, unless in was done online with a different book. I currently use the computer for the phonics program Lexia.

Any ideas? I feel like I need to do more with these guys. What other strategies should I be hitting? Is anyone else in this boat? Thanks in advance for your help!

akmom is offline   Reply With Quote

jajohns

making inferences
Old 03-28-2010, 11:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I teach 1st grade and have a group of students who can read on a mid to end 2nd grade level. I've found that, although they can read all the words, they often miss out on the subtle, underlying messages in the text. Right now, we're reading chapter books and working on making inferences and supporting them with the text.
jajohns is offline   Reply With Quote
steppliterac

steppliterac

Comprehension toolkit
Old 03-29-2010, 07:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Have you tried using the Primary Comprehension Toolkit? Great lessons for deeper thinking! Check out Kathy Collin's book Reading for REal for how to do book clubs with primary kids.

friskykitty

Old 03-31-2010, 08:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I do not use the basal series at all in 4th grade. Every kid is reading and choosing their own good fit books. I do two mini lessons a day, and confer at least twice weekly with all 18 kids in class. Some kids I confer daily as they need it.

I did a literature circle approach at beginning of the year and didn't feel like they were all that engaged.

Parting thoughts:
complaince does not equal motivation

as volume of reading goes up, so does comprehension, accuracy, fluency, and vocabulary. They need to be reading, and reading lots. Actually research says they should be doing 90 minutes of independent reading a day AT SCHOOL.

They should be reading on their independent level if they are reading alone--with 99% accuracy (Richard Allington) and if you are helping, then at their instructional level with 90-97% accuracy.
friskykitty is offline   Reply With Quote

akmom

Old 04-11-2010, 08:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thanks for all your replies!

akmom is offline   Reply With Quote