Help

Daily 5

Your library set up

>

firstyear2009

Your library set up
Old 03-30-2010, 06:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Ok, question. I have my library set up in bins according to genre. I have a lot of books in there that are way too hard for them to read, but they like to look at the pictures. Are all your classroom library books only at their levels?

firstyear2009 is offline   Reply With Quote

rSquirrel

assortment
Old 03-30-2010, 09:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have some bins set up leveled wise.....and then I have a whole bunch of different non fiction bins..as well as just picture book bins.

A lot of my non fiction books only some can read. After I taught my kids how to choose Just Right books, they were able to look through all the bins and figure out whether or not it was a good book for them.

You do need books at their level but they don't need to set up in "levels."

Also we teach the importance of reading the pictures which some kids can do for the harder books.
rSquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote

busybee4

Book Bins
Old 03-30-2010, 02:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I do have books ranging from level 4-to around 28 in my first grade for the kids to pick from. Books that are more challenging than that are kept in my closet for use with comprehension lessons and read a louds. I had my easiest books displayed in the fall and slowly rotated out easier authors for more appropriate authors as the year progressed, that way they had an easier chance of choosing just right books. I do not have my bins leveled this year and it has not been an issue.
busybee4 is offline   Reply With Quote

teachermomof4

Old 03-30-2010, 02:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have some that are loosely leveled...(early emergent are blue stickers, emergent are yellow stickers, late emergent are green, fluent are orange and then a bin of red) I also have tubs by author, theme, non-fiction, classroom favorites, wordless picture books, rhymes and song books, board books, scholastic hello readers, etc.
teachermomof4 is offline   Reply With Quote

firstyear2009

Old 03-30-2010, 03:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I just feel like everytime I go to book sales none of them are "easy" readers. I have SOO many books, but not as many on level books as I would like.

firstyear2009 is offline   Reply With Quote

AD

Old 03-30-2010, 05:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Mine are not leveled-they are separated by genre. I do have some books that are above many students' levels, but I keep books that are too difficult for them away until students can read them.

For example, I never have chapter books out at the beginning of the year. As some students are ready for chapter books-Horrible Harry, Junie B. Jones, etc...I start to put them out.
AD is offline   Reply With Quote

friskykitty

Old 03-31-2010, 08:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I leveled my books via Scholastic grades 1-6. I used to do it via Fountas and Pinnell Guided Reading Level. I spent over $1200 to get my own class library though that I would not have to share, so to do it fast, I just leveled by grade instead. I have instructed how to choose good fit books repeatedly and have some children working only off one grade level shelf.
friskykitty is offline   Reply With Quote

sadiebug16

by themes and levels
Old 03-31-2010, 03:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

My library is set up by theme....I have about 30 different theme bins...farm animals, zoo animals, character books (Froggy, Clifford, etc), School, Fall, Spring...etc; and then I also have leveled tubs from A-J. I teach Kindergarten. For Reader's workshop they choose 4 leveled books and 4 theme books.
sadiebug16 is offline   Reply With Quote