Help

ARCHIVE

seriously

>

luvbug

seriously
Old 05-19-2010, 03:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

We take the NC science test tomorrow and of course one of my kids came in today and told me that her mom was arrested last night for meth.
I just wish that the higher ups could understand that even though these kids have worked hard all year that you never know what might happen right before the test.
Please keep her and her family in your prayers. It is just so sad and I feel like I don't know what I can do to help.
Would love to hear suggestions or words of encouragement.
TIA

luvbug is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2chat

Old 05-19-2010, 05:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

My suggestion would be to recognize that in the grand scheme of things all these tests we put kids through are pretty irrelevant in the long term. This child is the perfect example. There are things going on far more important to her right now than how she does on a test. I would just offer her as much love and support as you can and let her know to just do the best she can but you recognize that she may find it difficult to concentrate. If it's possible you might want to give her additional breaks, a quiet place to work and if it's allowed a little extra time given the special circumstances. I'm not sure if that's possible but it would be worth it if you could offer it to her.
luv2chat is offline   Reply With Quote

friskykitty

Old 05-20-2010, 07:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

apply for a waiver for her.
friskykitty is offline   Reply With Quote

fraffert

Diddo!!
Old 05-20-2010, 10:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

The day we were taking our Writing Test one of my students came in crying. I took him in the hall to see what was wrong and he said his mom got sent to jail over drugs. Poor thing. I gave him a good pep talk and he seemed to do fine. Hope your student can clear his/her head also.
fraffert is offline   Reply With Quote

Hasty

death of parent
Old 05-20-2010, 02:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

A couple of years ago a student at my school lost his dad just days before our state testing. His dad was in a motorcycle accident and he had witnessed it and was with his dad when he died. Last year I had this student's brother. The child should have been retained in second because he was very low but he wasn't. He grieved the entire year for his dad. His scores were of course low like his brother's the year before. In my state students have to retake the test if they don't pass so those poor kids had to take the tests again. They did not pass the retest either. No one will care if these tests are passed in a couple of years but the effects of the death or imprisonment of a parent will last a lifetime.

Hasty is offline   Reply With Quote

Suspended

Driven2BG

Suspended

Old 05-20-2010, 06:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Unfortunately, life must go on. I once took a college test, right after a family member died; there were no chances to make it up, as it was the final. I remembered that the family member would want me to do my best, and they would be happy if I put my mind on the test and build a good future for myself. It's harder to say than do, I know. But assure your precious child that the mom wants her to do her best, so she can have better choices in life.
Driven2BG is offline   Reply With Quote