Can 4th graders use the materials without GD first? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Magnolia Room

Can 4th graders use the materials without GD first?

>

TeacherBB

TeacherBB

Can 4th graders use the materials without GD first?
Old 07-23-2010, 03:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Do 4th graders have to have a whole GD lesson on using simple materials like markers, crayons and such? If so can you tell me how you run a GD on these materials for upper elem kids? I do not want to make it seem like they are babies. They have obviously used these things before.

tchrgrl28

4/5 Split
Old 08-01-2010, 12:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have a 4/5 split and I was wondering the same thing. There is an earlier post on this board about 5 ways PTers use IM and GD in their classrooms. That may have had some good ideas for us upper grade teachers. I think glue sticks and markers will not need guided discovery so much, but then I think about where supplies go, what to do when there is no extra on the shelve and how to properly put away or restock... so maybe there is an element of at least Interactive modeling that can be done, or for a specific project like "How can we use markers to show what we've learned...." or something like that.

Does that help?
TeacherBB

TeacherBB

Old 08-01-2010, 03:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Yes that does help a little. I just don't want my kiddos to feel insulted you know? I think I will go with the "where they go" and "what to do when you use the last of a community item"

Lottalove

They probably can but
Old 08-01-2010, 05:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

it might not hurt to have some modeling of rules, procedures and expectations anyway. Kids have selective memory at times anyway but with just back to school, well, kids are still a little wound up and out of the routine.

WordyCrayon

When I taught 5th grade...
Old 08-04-2010, 03:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I used to emphasize the part of Guided Discovery about where you ask for innovations... who knows a different/new way to use this tool. It always amazed me how many students had gotten through 5 years of public school and never thought to use the pencil on it's side for shading. Now that I teach Kinder it cracks me up the way kids reach for new ways to use tools.

I agree with the previous poster... definitely do it so they know your expectations for procedures.