Help

Magnolia Room

class meetings

>

broad

class meetings
Old 07-25-2010, 01:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Every year I'm determined to do Class Meeting with my lst Graders. I regret I have not persevered. I know how important and valuable this can be. I start off well with a talking stick and have students share compliments or answer a question. I need more ideas for how to do this. Does anyone have a list of sharing questions or ideas. I like the idea of having a clipboard and agenda so we can discuss problems and issues. What's the best way to do this. Thanks.

Blessed2Teach

Community Circle
Old 07-25-2010, 08:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I did class meetings when I was student teaching. The kids loved it as well as my CT, she said she was going to do it next year. I had all the students come to the carpet and sit in a circle. I explained that we were only going to use respectful words and that we cannot use names unless it was in a positive way. The circle is not used for tattling but for discussing issues we may be having as well as positive things in our lives. We talked about the classroom and outside of school. It was great and the kids loved it! I didn't ever have an agenda since I was only able to do it for five times. I let the kids guide the discussion. I also had a box that students could write a note in about something they wanted to discuss in the circle. Likewise, they could not use names. They were great about coming up with great discussions such as "it bugs me when the class talks while the teacher is talking" Perfect and they came up with it on their own. They saw it as a problem and then as a class they would come up with possible solutions. I let them do all the talking and only stepped in if they got disrespectful. They were constantly asking me when we could have our circle time. We had it at the end of the day and they knew that if we didn't get done with our work then we wouldn't have time to meet. Great motivator.

aksuz

Class meetings
Old 07-25-2010, 08:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I do class meetings--this is how is runs. I take 30 minutes to do this every Friday morning.

All students sit on floor in circle boy girl boy girl
We start with an opener--like in one word name the best thing about summer. Eash student speaks going around the circle, if they can't think of a word they say pass.
I keep a notebook in the front of the room where they list problems or completes or celebrations. I take the note book and read what they have written and ask the group for advice. All advice must be positive and helpful. (One question I have them ask "Is it helpful or is it hurtful")
We close the meeting by complimenting the person to the right. By saying "I appreciate .........because they are ........" Every person gets a compliment. Going around the circle listening to each person's compliment.

The kids enjoy having a voice and many of them need the positive affirmation from a peer.

happygirl444

Old 07-26-2010, 08:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I'm curious--do you mean Morning Meetings (as in RC style), Closing Circles, or Class Problem-Solving Meeting? What is your goal? To build community and respect, solve problems, etc.? Have you done RC style Morning Meetings yet? If so, I've got the answer for you!! You'd LOVE Morning Meetings!

1steduc8or

I would love to hear more about Morning Meeti
Old 07-26-2010, 05:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I would love to know more about morning meetings! I really want to try this out this year.