Help

Magnolia Room

Rules and Logical Consequences

>

lissamissa

Rules and Logical Consequences
Old 08-13-2010, 09:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have a question about generating the rules and discussing logical consequences.

I understand that in RC, you do not create rules during the first week of school...therefore - I guess that logical consequences are not discussed during the first week either? or are they?

My biggest concern is: if these are not discussed yet, and a child is misbehaving or acting inappropriately during the first week, does this mean that you cannot use the logical consequences yet? Maybe I am overthinking....I have a tendency to do that.

Thanks for your help!

EllyEd

Rules/Consequences
Old 08-13-2010, 02:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Lissamissa,
According the week long training that I attended over the summer, our instructor said to have some very basic rules in place. Explain to the children that they are temporary to help guide learning, and that you'll be creating some as a class soon. As for the consequences, just discuss them as they come up. I hope that helps!

happygirl444

Old 08-13-2010, 08:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

My RCI instructor said you could use time out before you introduced it if you had a case where it was necessary. She just said she uses respectful language and gives them the knowledge they need at the moment..."I need you to sit here for a while and take some deep breaths and when I give you this signal, please come back and join us." I know it's not IDEAL but I guess this helped me know that I can use it if I really need it.

I think following First Six Weeks and Daily 5 has helped me to introduce behavior in a more developmentally appropriate way that helps me reduce my behavior issues.

peggyteach

Old 08-15-2010, 06:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I can see why this might be confusing.
Even though there are no rules posted the first day of school, it doesn't mean there's chaos and no rules. The teacher's expectations will come across the minute she teaches the first routine - most likely the signal for silence. Teaching, modeling, and practicing all of those little behaviors sets the tone of a friendly and well organized room w/ clear expectations. The teacher needs to do whatever it takes maintain that positive tone, and that will mean redirecting at times. And maybe even time -out, as happy girl explained. Teaching routines and procedures is the first step in the rule-making process. Sometimes, depending on the grade, teachers will start right off with teaching about the social skills Cooperation, Assertion, Responsibility, Empathy, Self-control. Then anytime the first week you will go to Hopes and Dreams and to the rest of the rule-making steps. Do you have a book to follow?
Hope that helps
Peggy