Help

Magnolia Room

Transition after Morning Meeting

>

whiteswan

Transition after Morning Meeting
Old 08-21-2010, 09:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I was wondering what is the best way to transition out of morning meeting and into our new state adopted Language Arts curriculum. I do not have space for 2 rug areas. I have also made the morning meeting area the center of the room as it now takes up almost half of the class. It is located in the front of the class in front of the smartboard so I do alot of teaching in this area. I think I read somewhere that it is not good to keep the kids on the rug after morning meeting and then teach another lesson from this same space.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated as this is my first time and end of first week of implementing RC in 2nd grade.

luckyteacher

Old 08-22-2010, 09:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I do a quick water break after morning meeting. They come back refreshed and ready to learn.

Mrs. R :)

First of all....
Old 08-22-2010, 01:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

How's your implementation going? What are some great things you are noticing? What other trouble spots do you see?

The water break is a great natural energizer that gets them up and moving, plus cuts out the need to "escape" out of the room for those kiddos that need a body break. Great suggestion!

Another idea would be a quick "energizer" after Morning Meeting. Have you been to the RC site and taken a look at the Energizers on the video clips? They are great fun and a good way to transition into a new segment.

If there is anyway you can make you mini-lesson truly a mini-lesson I would try that as well.

Also, after my kiddos sit "Morning Meeting Style" (in a circle) I will have them switch to "Story Style" (loose rows facing forawrd as if they were going to listen to a read aloud.)

Any other ideas?

thebeach16

Old 08-23-2010, 05:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

In the beginning of the year I would do a quick song that let them move a bit. Then I got an idea at one of the TC Sataurday Reunions. I do Reading WOrkshop after my MM. SO now after MM I have them get their reading folders and book baggies set up at their reading spot with the book they plan to read that day on top. It all takes about 3 minutes. The speaker suggested it because that way after the mini lesson they go back read to start instead of wasting time getting set up. It also cuts out some of the set up chat. I also like it because it breaks up my MM and Reading WOrkshop carpet time.