Help

Daily 5

capt. underpants, wimpy kid

>

leighon13

capt. underpants, wimpy kid
Old 09-20-2010, 04:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does anyone limit the amount of these types of books? I want my kids to get into quality literature, but I don't want to stifle their choices.

leighon13 is offline   Reply With Quote

4thgrteach

DWK and Capt. Underpants
Old 09-20-2010, 04:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I've noticed that most of my students go for these types of books a lot at the beginning of the year because I don't know what else to go for. As the year goes on though, they start seeing what other students are choosing and notice authors I talk about as well. By the end of the year last year most of my kids had read the Wimpy Kid books and the Captain Underpants books I have so they moved on to "greener pastures". : )
4thgrteach is offline   Reply With Quote

kristen_teach

Old 09-20-2010, 07:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I don't mind these once in awhile but we talk a lot about reading good fit books. If I see this is all a student is reading, I talk to them personally and tell them they need to read a different kind of book.
kristen_teach is offline   Reply With Quote

bwamom

Limiting book choices
Old 09-21-2010, 07:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I don't limit these books because I see that several students that have never wanted to read, read these books. Remember Read the Pictures is a way to read the book. With these graphic novels they are doing that. In addition, readers of these books have to use inferencing and drawing conclusions to get the meaning of these books.
bwamom is offline   Reply With Quote

teachinTX

Let them read
Old 09-21-2010, 07:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I wouldn't limit their choces--let them read what interests them so that reading is fun. You can expose them to other authors, etc., through read alouds. Even older students enjoy read alouds. Grab a good novel and read a chapter here and there as time allows. That may get your students interested in other things.

teachinTX is offline   Reply With Quote

christina4062

I agree with other posters...
Old 09-21-2010, 09:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

If they are reading and enjoying it, you are doing your job! You can expose them to a ton of quality literature through read alouds.
christina4062 is offline   Reply With Quote

Dutchie's Mom

Old 09-21-2010, 01:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I tell my students they can use those book during free read time but when we are working on any kind of reading workshop they must pick another chapter book. They actually keep 2 chapter books in their book bags one that is quality lit and one for free reading time. I hope that helps a little bit!
Dutchie's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote

jlfogerty

the whole point of choice is CHOICE!
Old 09-23-2010, 07:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I absolutely let them read them. I also have purchased many comic books that are at lower levels than Wimpy kid. That series is in the 900 lexile range and not necessarily a good fit book for many elementary kids. So, I let them get them, and then gently work with them while conferring to find books that are better fits all the way around. 4thgrteach is also right-they tend to choose a lot of these kinds of books in the beginning of the year and then move on.

They can have one Wimpy, one Cpt. Underpants, etc. in their box, just so there's enough for everyone. I don't want them having ONLY those books in their box, and that's about my only limit.
jlfogerty is offline   Reply With Quote

23years

The Book Whisperer idea
Old 09-23-2010, 09:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I have them read 40 books a year. I give them a list of genre and how many books they must read in each one. If they dont read 40, oh well. It gives them a goal. I dont grade this. If I see they are reading only one type after a time, I will conference with them and remind them of the required genre.
23years is offline   Reply With Quote