Help

Special Education

Asperger's and Reading

>

taughtbykids

Asperger's and Reading
Old 08-27-2012, 08:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Help! I want to try to start teaching my young Asperger's student to read. He recognizes letters and knows their sounds but cannot apply that to words. I can't figure out how to bridge that gap.

taughtbykids is offline   Reply With Quote

Sariana

reading
Old 08-27-2012, 09:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

How old is he?

Asperger's generally is characterized by a lack of social skills but a strong aptitude for language. That is very much simplifying the issue, but it is the basis for the "Little Professor" moniker many Aspies have. (My son is one.)

People with Asperger's interpret the world a bit differently, so the traditional techniques used to teach reading may not be as successful. It sounds as though you are using phonic and phonemic awareness; perhaps a "whole language" approach would work better. (In general I do not support Whole Language instruction, but with Aspies it may be appropriate.) Surround this boy with language, both oral and written, so that he can absorb the words for himself. Give him as many opportunities as you can to see language in context. Don't worry so much about the individual letters. Don't give up on that, but focus more on what language is, what it is used for, how it connects us to the world.

My son does well with reading, but he has similar strugges in math. He scores at the top of the charts on reasoning, problem solving, algebraic thinking, etc., but he CANNOT memorize his arithmetic facts. For some reason the basic functions of addition and subtraction elude him. He can SOLVE them (for example, 9 + 6 becomes 10 + 6=16, then subtract the 1 again to get to 15) but cannot memorize them. Your guy may be having similar trouble with letters vs. words. He may be able to read words but still struggle with "decoding" at the letter level.

Does that make sense?
Sariana is offline   Reply With Quote