Help

Special Education

Phonics vs Edmark Reading

>

dhteach

Phonics vs Edmark Reading
Old 09-01-2012, 07:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have a new group of sped students in my 4th grade life skills classroom. They have been trying to learn phonics for at least 2 years that I know of. They do not recognize their names, the alphabet, colors, or numbers. After what amount of time do I switch from trying to teach phonics to teaching Edmark reading program? It's basically a memorization program but I'm not sure they will understand it. I haven't worked with students at this academic level before and would appreciate any and all suggestions! Thanks!

dhteach is offline   Reply With Quote

dee

It's okay
Old 09-02-2012, 03:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I used an older version with a student and did not really like it for him. The aspects of the program that emphasize repetition and whole word work may work well with your students.

I am a certified Wilson teacher, and the rules of phonics are extremly challenging for students with low cognition. Life skills kids need life skills reading ability: names, safety signs, bathroom signs, etc. I would really focus on these while continuing to teach letters. Focus on the letters in their names.

I just think of my friend's son who is 23 and low cog. He can "read" signs that he is familiar with such as WalMart, McDonalds, etc. He can "read" which bathroom to go into. He can write his name while naming the letters. He did not learn all his letters until high school. I don't think he ever progressed beyond level 1.3 in th Wilson program- he could say the sound of letters but blending sounds was very difficult. Too much to remember in their short term memory. Even now when he is in the mood, he will spell a word he is looking at such as r-e-d and say red.

Life skills to me means basic functioning. Are your students going to be able to live on their own as adults, or do you think they will need to always have supervision? If that is the case, focus on functional safety reading while chipping away at learning to read.
dee is offline   Reply With Quote
teachasd

teachasd

Old 09-02-2012, 04:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I agree with Dee. I am trained in Orton Gillingham but I have come accross kids who don't progress with phonics instruction but actually do pretty well with whole word learning. If they do not progress it might be time to give something else a try like Edmark. Some of our teachers are now using ELSB (early literacy skills builder) with good success. The students really love the software program.

dhteach

Thanks for your responses!
Old 09-02-2012, 08:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I really don't think these students will live on their own or function independently at any point in their lives. And, I really agree with both of your comments about what life skills students need. Sometimes it's hard to decide what's in the best interest of the students without having support (advice) from other sped teachers. Thanks again for your suggestions!
dhteach is offline   Reply With Quote

KelleySL

Edmark
Old 10-03-2012, 04:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

HI I have taught Life Skills for 18 years. I absolutly love Edmark. The kids really struggle with phonics. I have had kids who have started the 6th grade maybe reading 50 words and I have used Edmark with them and they can now read at a 2-3 grade level. This has happened with numerous students throughout the year. If I had to pick 5 pieces of curriculum for Life Skills Students Edmark would be my #1 pick. I use both the computer program and the print version for reienforcement. Along with the spelling program. I also eventually incorporate the Functional Skills Program with Edmark. Love Love Love it.

KelleySL is offline   Reply With Quote