Special Education

Brand New 1st Year Middle School Special Ed. Teacher

>

Creativechica

Brand New 1st Year Middle School Special Ed. Teacher
Old 09-03-2012, 08:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi Guys,

I was officially hired last Thursday for a Middle school Special Education Teacher position. This will be my first year teaching. School starts on the 6th but I still have two weeks left in my contract as an educational assistant with my previous employer. Therefore, I will enter my class two weeks after school begins. I am trying to read as much as possible but I feel overwhelmed and I don't know where to begin. Help!!!!!! Oh and hi again, I look forward to speaking to all of you.

Creativechica is offline   Reply With Quote

Miller

Old 09-04-2012, 02:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I started 2 weeks in to the year my first sped middle school teaching job as well. Is it behavior or academics class or both?

One game I remember playing was 2 truths and a lie, then told my class to come up with their own and we played that.

I had them brainstorm some class rules.
Miller is offline   Reply With Quote

sp ed in TX

Old 09-06-2012, 03:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

First of all remember this you can't teach them any less. So every thing you do is a plus for these children.

Second remember that they CAN learn but not in the normal classroom setting or with the normal styles. You have to find ways to reach them with several methods and styles at once. ( if you haven't seen foldables looks at the Dina Zikes stuff has worked wonders for my kids)

Third save examples of every thing the student does so that when a parent says you didn't teach Johnny something you have proof.

Fourth have fun. They will know when you are stressed and that will cause their behavior to sky rocket.
sp ed in TX is offline   Reply With Quote

elleveeaych

Me too!
Old 09-10-2012, 06:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Hi Creativechica!

I'm in the same boat as you. I'm in my second week as a middle school self contained teacher and it's also my first year. I've worked as an aide before and subbed but this is my first classroom. The hardest part that I've noticed in these two weeks is really the paperwork. Trying to organize myself to collect data and figure out the schools IEP system has been a little overwhelming. Let me know if you find anything that has worked for you so far and I'll do the same : ) Good luck!
elleveeaych is offline   Reply With Quote