Special Education

inclusion minutes and resource minutes...IEP help

>

iceicebaby

iceicebaby

inclusion minutes and resource minutes...IEP help
Old 09-07-2012, 06:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have several students on my caseload that came to me from K with full resource minutes. We've been doing full inclusion and it's working. I want to put 90 resource minutes and the rest inclusion minutes so those would go under regular classes and the resource would go under special classes on the Programs & Services page.

I was told that I shouldn't do that because if not all of my parents agree then I can't provide inclusion minutes for everyone.

however, the point of the IEP is that it's individualized. But then I get in to problems if I do have kids successful in inclusion and some that should be in resource (down the road), what do I do? I can't be in 2 places at a time and legally my para can't provide the support.

So, if you're doing full inclusion (1st grade) how do your minutes look on the programs and services page?

spedkidsrock

Old 09-07-2012, 07:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'd talk with the classroom teachers and parents first. If they agree you can amend the IEP and change the minutes. You will be mainly responsible for the resource room while para's can support students in the classroom.
spedkidsrock is offline   Reply With Quote
spedok

spedok

Old 09-09-2012, 04:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Your right -the point is that the IEP is individualized. Services are also supposed to happen in the least restrictive environment in which the student can show progress. If your students make progress in inclusion they need to be in inclusion.
I don't know who told you to not makes changes 'because then all parents want them', certainly not someone who understands special education.
One word of caution: If you have kids with full resource minutes and they are in inclusion with a para you are not providing the legally required service minutes and your school can be liable for compensatory services.
Do what is in the best interest of each student but be sure that the IEPs are amended to reflect correct service minutes. Changes in service minutes are a significant change to the IEP and you will need to have an IEP meeting to do this.
vanillaice

vanillaice

Old 09-10-2012, 07:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

it's quite funny....my asst. principal told me that and several other "seasoned" sped teachers said similar things.

What's getting me about these "minutes" is that at any given time something could happen and adjustments need to be made. The sad state of sped is that in schools larger than mine with larger populations but the same staff, kids are NOT getting what they need. Kids that need to be in full inclusion are not getting it.

Lottalove

just be sure to re-read what can be amended
Old 09-11-2012, 04:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

and what needs a meeting before you make changes to an existing IEP. It is a fine line between categories sometimes and easy to cross. This type of thing would require a meeting in my district because it would be a change of placement as well as minutes.

Do you have any freedom with location of services provided? Sometimes students who need full support for a minimum amount of time can be served as pullout within or near the classroom (as opposed to going back to your resource room.) They would still be getting 1:1 or small group instruction but in a different environment.

At DD's school, there was a small table left in the hallway of the first grade wing and the resource teachers pulled from two or more classrooms there and let the students return with minimum interruption.

Lottalove is offline   Reply With Quote

mtrice

Old 09-15-2012, 10:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Is there a reason that your paras cannot provide the in class support? Ours do, they aren't teaching they are only providing support when the student is struggling.
mtrice is offline   Reply With Quote