Help

Special Education

classroom logistics

>

kbach

classroom logistics
Old 09-14-2012, 12:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I teach in a primary class for students with intellectual disabilities. This is my second year at primary (although last year I still had 3rd graders) so really this is my first year with very immature young ones. What do you do to keep with very little ones busy while working with reading groups? My groups are about 20 minutes long but that is still too long for their attention spans.

Also, what do you usually do with them in reading groups? One can identify some letters but for the most part, that's it. The others do not know letters or sounds. I am looking for new ideas for hand on things that will hold their attention.

kbach is offline   Reply With Quote

Miller

Old 09-14-2012, 05:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

you have to teach them other activities

I haven't gotten that far yet but I plan to do Earobics, starfall, spellingcity.com, and xtramath.org as a computer center. I need to teach one website at a time and assign them one.

I just got a bunch of things I ordered from orientaltrading.com. I plan to use the letter identification mat with tall, small, and below letters and they can sort. I will have them spell their word wall or spelling words with wikki sticks or playdoh.

if you have pictures they can do sequencing then write about it
Miller is offline   Reply With Quote

kbach

They are much lower than that
Old 09-14-2012, 04:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I do have some that can do the different computer programs but 6 that absolutely can't. They will open everything on the computer and lock it up. I've been working with them on it since school started. They can't write, at all. They can't even draw a straight line. They can't stay on task long enough to sort. They can do it if someone is there to keep them focused but once on their own they will destroy the materials.

Miller

Old 09-14-2012, 05:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

can they sort objects? do a chunky puzzle? create, complete, or follow a pattern?

teach them how to make playdoh snakes then form letters. They can practice spelling their name.

have you been on the K and preK boards and ask them for some ideas?
Miller is offline   Reply With Quote

kbach

well kind of
Old 09-15-2012, 05:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

They can sort objects for just a minute or so and then go off task. Same with everything. It is frustrating because I have 12 students and they don't learn in large groups but if they are in small groups then several are doing "independent" activities when they aren't able to stay on task with them. I have plastic tweezers to move objects (fine motor,) color sorting (but they only sort for a few seconds and then start pouring any color anywhere,) puzzles that hold attention for a few minutes. My older ones are fine (the 2nd graders and a few of the first graders) but the rest are difficult because I just can't find anything that holds their attention.

QW

Old 09-17-2012, 02:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

One thing that helps me when things get crazy is using MP3 players or the tiny ipod shuffles. I have a few and have them programmed with learning songs (abcs, counting, days of the week, etc). If they complete a task they can earn time listening to the songs. It works very well, but of course there is an initial cost involved.

Could they use a sensory box? Hide magnetic letters of their name and have them find them and put them in order. Or find objects of one color...

I feel for you! I would also try the 10 minute reading group model from Jan Stephenson (I think that is her name) and shorten groups to more meet their attention span. Good luck!
QW is offline   Reply With Quote

AuburnGal

Web Resource
Old 09-20-2012, 11:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

There is a great website for printable activities called childcareland.com.

She rotates the free printables every so often, but you can also purchase her CD of all of her activities: same activities but with a ton of different themes (i.e. ABC bears, ABC leaves, counting balloons, counting Christmas trees, etc.). She also has great videos on the site and on YouTube!

I print the activities, laminate them, and make them into folder games with velcro pieces for my students with severe disabilities!

Hope this is helpful!
AuburnGal is offline   Reply With Quote

kbach

More information.
Old 10-05-2012, 03:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Thanks for these! I don't have the money for the mp3 (and am afraid they will be destroyed in two minutes or less) but like the sensory box. I will put that together this weekend.

I tried to look up the group model but can't find anything. Can you give me more information? I would like to see that.

kbach

War Eagle!
Old 10-05-2012, 03:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I went to Auburn.

Thanks. I will look some more at that website. My issue is that the students in question can't stay on task so they will just randomly put the pieces anywhere. They won't match or do anything unless an adult is there to keep them on task. If we went by need alone, my classroom would always have 3:1 and they would always have an adult close enough to assist but instead are 6:1 and that is too large for them to learn. SO, there will always be students working "independently." I am going to try to make some type of cover for my listening center so they can use it without getting to any of the buttons. Thanks for the suggestions!!

Lakeside

Old 10-05-2012, 03:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Have you tried 4 and 8? One person would have 4 doing the more intense instruction, and the other would have 8 doing something more laid back - coloring, using sensory tables, reading stories, etc. You would rotate out 4 at a time.

I'm not sure of your individual levels, but I've also seen a 1 and 2 model - in your case, that would mean 3 groups of 4, where one adult bounces between 2 centers close together (the easier activities) and the other does the more focused instruction on the other side of the room.

And I would definitely start with shorter rotations. You can always build up later, after they get the hang of groups.

Good luck! And I hope they give you more help soon!

Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

kbach

It's all about funding
Old 10-05-2012, 10:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

There are a few issues... I have second graders that need the long groups because they are learning to read. In all honesty, they need 30 minute groups. Also, the groups HAVE to be 3 or less according to their funding (matrix.) Speech is in here at the same time and can't do less than 20 minutes. SO, it is just a mess. If I could just run my classroom the way I want to run it, it wouldn't be as difficult but instead I have to meet state requirements, staffing requirements, district and school requirements and they just don't all mesh together. I am going to see if I can get a bit more creative with the scheduling though. Thanks.

AuburnGal

Computer Tip
Old 10-07-2012, 08:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Go Auburn! (Small world, huh?)

One tip for keeping kids from pulling up unwanted stuff of the computer is to use the F11 key once you are one the website you want them to use. When you hit F11, it removes the upper and lower toolbars from view and just shows the website on the full screen! Then, just hit F11 again to bring the toolbars back when you need them.
AuburnGal is offline   Reply With Quote