Help

Special Education

possible sensory issues...experts?

>

Miller

possible sensory issues...experts?
Old 10-03-2012, 02:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have a 7 year old boy who *has* to be perfect. If I correct an answer or help him fix something he gets so frustrated, he pouts, cries, and at the extreme pulls his hair, punches, and scratches himself. He has thrown things out of frustration. It all stems from him not getting recognition or a reward (right answers).

My friend mentioned sensory issues, but I'm not too familiar with sensory stuff.

other things about him. He seems to slide out of his chair a lot....not fall, slide; he's really really flexible and limber. He frequently sits on his feet...like a baseball catcher and his legs splayed open. If you can imagine a baseball catcher flat against a wall, face first.

Unlike a child with autism who seems very rigid, this boy is the total opposite....it's like he's so fluid and jiggly.

Miller is offline   Reply With Quote

KelleySL

Old 10-03-2012, 04:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

You might try a seat cushion. They have some blow up ones that sometimes help. I have had students in the past with this behavior. Often we work so hard to make sure that they get the "right" answer we don't allow them to make mistakes. I found that the problem was mostly with the adults working with them. We want them to be successful, but You don't always get everything in life right the first time. They need to learn it is ok to make mistakes and they can be corrected.
KelleySL is offline   Reply With Quote

IA11

Old 10-03-2012, 05:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

You might try googling 'Sensory Integration Dysfunction' (old term, I think!) or 'Sensory Processing Disorder' for more information. You might also look at a book called, The Out-of-Sync Child -- I'm sorry -- I don't know the author. My copy must have been borrowed. . . because it's not on my bookshelf. Sensory issues can present very differently from child to child. Both of my children (now mostly grown) were diagnosed with this. They are complete and total opposites!

Good luck -- your student is lucky to have a teacher who cares!
IA11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Miller

Old 10-04-2012, 03:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have that book, I left it at work. Was just hoping someone knew exactly so I didn't have to search...perhaps it could be narrowed down. Thanks for your suggestion though.
Miller is offline   Reply With Quote