Help

Special Education

Still looking for centers

>

kbach

Still looking for centers
Old 10-04-2012, 04:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I teach k-2 Ind students (down's syndrome, ASD, ODD etc.) I am really struggling as to what to do with the students that aren't in reading groups. I have 12 students and one other adult. We both run groups at the same time (in order to get through everything) which leaves 6 students working independently. I have 3 students that can do worksheet type stuff and maybe two more that can stay focused enough to match letters. HOWEVER, that leaves me looking for something that will hold the attention of 7 other students. They lock up the computers if they go on those and destroy the listening center or destroys traditional "center" materials. I have OT type stuff (lacing, tweezers, puzzles, playdoh etc,) but am really at a loss of what else to do to hold their attention so I can run my reading groups. Ideas???

kbach is offline   Reply With Quote

Miller

Old 10-04-2012, 07:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

playdoh....have them spell sight words or spelling words with playdoh. I always have to teach my students to make little snakes and then form letters with the snakes

what about stamps? you can have them stamp their names, spelling words, a pattern, etc.

I have done sticker stories. Get all kinds of stickers...glittery, fuzzy, smelly, trains, planes, automobiles dinosaurs, farm animals....blah blah and have them pick a sticker and write a story about it.
Miller is offline   Reply With Quote

kbach

Way too high
Old 10-05-2012, 03:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We are talking 3 year old developmental range. They can't hold a pencil, much less write. If I let them have stamps unattended, there would be stamps everywhere but their paper. There is no way they could make words with playdoh. They get off task on the first letter. I am beginning to wonder if I am the only one that has students that have this little attention because the suggestions I've gotten after 3 different posts have all been for students that are much higher developmentally and that would have to stay on task for more than a minute. I was sitting with my staffing and compliance person yesterday and discussing how my students really have a lot of need because they can't work independently (most of them...I do have some) so by funding standards, should be in very small groups in order to learn but I don't have the support so I can't give it to them therefore can't claim the funding. Wow, this system is just broken.
kbach is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Old 10-05-2012, 04:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I just saw your older "Classroom Logistics" thread this morning, and posted there with some ideas from 3 and 4 year rooms I've worked in.
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

Miller

Old 10-07-2012, 01:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

perhaps post this on the reg.ed prek-k boards

Miller is offline   Reply With Quote

specialteach9

center ideas
Old 10-08-2012, 09:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I have 3-6 graders and 2 with who are functioning similarly to students you have. Do you have TAs in the class. I have setup activity center with schedules for each students with various activities from lacing beads, mr. potato head, legos, puzzles, etc. TA monitors students activity and students complete activity independently or with hoh guidance when necessary and with NO talking to them to build independence.
specialteach9 is offline   Reply With Quote