Help

The VENT

MAPS testing

>

Shell

MAPS testing
Old 05-17-2019, 05:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My kids did not grow enough or hit their end of the year RIT score. I feel so awful as a teacher. My principal is not happy. I've had lots of behaviors this year. 11 IEPs and a low class all around. It is such a ridiculous test in kinder. I hate the fact that it defines me as a teacher.

Shell is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 05-17-2019, 05:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I really struggle with this. I do everything I'm supposed to do and still my scores are always lower than my grade level partners. My partner has a super low class and behavior kids and was out for weeks and I bet her scores are still higher than mine.

I just don't know what I'm doing wrong. Winter MAP I had 7-8 kids miss their goal by 1-2 points. It was ridiculous.

MAP testing always makes me feel like a crap teacher. Hang in there. It's not you. MAP isn't the end all, be all.
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Song of Joy

Old 05-17-2019, 06:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Oh, I totally agree about computerized standardized testing in Kindergarten. I think it is totally inappropriate developmentally. This kind of pressure should never be pushed down to early childhood. I think it's child abuse.
Song of Joy is offline   Reply With Quote

UVAgrl928

Old 05-17-2019, 07:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I had this discussion with my P just last week. Iím in 3rd grade- a testing year. My mid year MAPs was fantastic! Then my EOY drastically plummeted. For us, it breaks it down into whether they are projected to fail, pass, or advance pass on their state testing.

We gave our state test this week and I compared. MAPs projected 8 fails for reading- I had 4. For math, MAPs projected 13 fails, and I only had 1. Sooooo.....
UVAgrl928 is offline   Reply With Quote

hikinghiker

Growth
Old 05-17-2019, 09:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We have a data analyst come in and talk to us about data. She told us that RIT scores don't matter, nor do their 'goals' because there are so many factors that can influence them and they're generated by a computer which isn't always perfect, especially for kindergarteners who can be in wide developmental ranges.

Instead she told us to look at the Conditional Growth median or the CGM which should be at the bottom of your map reports. You should aim for a 65. That means that, compared to their peers across the United States, they grew more than 65% of them.

Apparently after these kids take the first test they are put into groups of children who took the test in about the same time, took the test in a similar fashion, scored in the same RIT range, with the same strengths and weaknesses recorded, and had the about the same percentage. The CGM compares how they did only to those similar peers(usually a pool of a few thousand) and it's apparently way more accurate.

I also teach kindergarten and only 12 kids met their goal at the end of the year. My co-teachers had the same scores roughly, however, our CGMs were high which apparently means that although not all our students met their goals, they grew more than their similar peers across the United States.

hikinghiker is offline   Reply With Quote

tgbwc

Rit?
Old 05-18-2019, 03:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

What does it stand for?
tgbwc is offline   Reply With Quote

UVAgrl928

Old 05-18-2019, 04:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Hikinghiker- wouldnít it be nice if they took the time to explain the scoring to everyone? Lol
UVAgrl928 is offline   Reply With Quote

cruxian

Old 05-18-2019, 04:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Hikinghiker, interesting. I'm with UVAgirl and wish they'd explain that to us.
We did reading MAPS first (I only teach reading) and I had one class make great growth midyear and then kinda stall in spring. Admin was like, what the heck? I had a few testing weirdness things that I thought explained it. Then they do math. Same thing----other two classes are fine, one class is flat. Then science (released State test)----same thing, other two classes are fine, this one class bombed. Admin basically accused the three of us of independently or collaboratively deciding to stop teaching the class. The three of us were like, wait WHAT??????
I think it's especially ridiculous in kindergarten.
cruxian is offline   Reply With Quote

apple annie

Old 05-18-2019, 06:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Hikinghiker thank you for explaining th CGM. It sounds similar to what I sort of (but not really) understand is what we here in my district call the SGP score. I think it stands for Student Growth Percentile or something.

So... if your student has to score better than 65 percent of his peers, then doesn't that mean that only 35 percent of kids will reach their goal? And only 35 percent of teachers will be considered successful? Are we being set up to fail?
apple annie is offline   Reply With Quote

Izzy23

Old 05-18-2019, 06:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Quote:
Instead she told us to look at the Conditional Growth median or the CGM which should be at the bottom of your map reports. You should aim for a 65. That means that, compared to their peers across the United States, they grew more than 65% of them.
In my old district, we took the STAR test, which essentially used this same model - a median growth rate for the class, compared with the rest of the country. First our district told us we had to reach between 40-60 % on the median. I had a couple of years with really high medians - above the 60% in reading and math. Then the district changed the benchmark to 65. Not just the class median, but individual kids were supposed to make 65.

It was not possible for some kids. I taught gifted and reading was a nightmare. My students were 3rd graders, but at an 8th grade reading level. So on their test they would get questions like, Read this passage about how Ronald Reagan contributed to the fall of the Berlin Wall. Kids asked me, What's the Berlin Wall?

When I brought this up to my P, to explain why the kids were not making their median growth, she told me that I should just be teaching the history then. Okay...I will design a unit on post-war Europe and the rise and fall of communism. For 3rd grade.

Now I'm in a district with MAP. My scores were terrible, but so were everyone else's. I find standardized testing utterly pointless. And agree with PPs that it's child abuse. My 4th graders spent 7 days doing state testing, then another 4 days doing MAP. And the only result is I feel like a crap teacher and they hate school.

Izzy23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Izzy23

Old 05-18-2019, 06:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Quote:
So... if your student has to score better than 65 percent of his peers, then doesn't that mean that only 35 percent of kids will reach their goal? And only 35 percent of teachers will be considered successful? Are we being set up to fail?
Yup. Exactly.
Izzy23 is offline   Reply With Quote

apple annie

Old 05-18-2019, 06:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Izzy, we use the STAR test also. But rather than using the median, we are told to average the SGP scores. One kid with an SGP of 3, and your average is out the window. I don't think my admin knows what the SGP is or how it should be used. (In my mind, it shouldn't be used at all.!)

I know I'm probably in the minority here, but I think students should be evaluated on proficiency and not growth. If we are teaching to the standards, we are reaching for proficiency. Why are we, and our students, being evaluated according to a criteria other than the standards to which we are teaching?
apple annie is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 05-18-2019, 07:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

We donít start using MAP assessments until 2nd grade.

All students in 2-8 get tested in reading and math three times a year. We want to go to 2 times and toss the winter test. No idea whether our request will be honored.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

pdxteacher

Old 05-18-2019, 09:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I had to start giving the MAPS assessments my life skills class this year. It is some serious bullsh!t.
pdxteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
guest 124879

guest 124879

Hate the MAP Test!
Old 05-18-2019, 12:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Our second graders have goals based on the Primary MAP test they take in first. However, in second we take the 2-5 test. So, our kids have crazy goals. An example I have a little girl who has to go from a 147 to a 198 just to hit her goal. I had one this year who grew over 40 RIT points from her fall 2-5 test and did NOT hit her goal because the actual goal is based on the Primary test. She actually counts as a negative score for me on my growth measure.

All of my kids hit their second grade Fall to Spring score. I however am going to be marked with below average scores on my growth measure because of the Spring to Spring goals they have to hit. I hate the NWEA MAP test!

readandweep

Pdxteacher
Old 05-18-2019, 03:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Oh good grief!

Did your Life Skills students even get a score?

That is absurd. The DLM is annoying enough.

No one in my middle school can figure out what our district wants from MAP scores.

Fortunately we are not being forced to use MAP scores on evaluations.
readandweep is offline   Reply With Quote

WordFountain

Old 05-18-2019, 03:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I was just having this convo with my team this week. I teach 3rd & we just finished state testing. We also do MAP 3x/year. So my kids have the NJSLA this week & in 2 weeks have to MAP test in addition to end-of-year benchmarks.
Itís. So.much.testing! Also, we have standards based report cards. So, what exactly are we striving for?!? Mastery of skills (a PP said profiency) or to score a median average on a state test/MAP?

Itís May & Iím just over it this year.
WordFountain is offline   Reply With Quote

Shell

Old 05-18-2019, 04:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

Thank you all for being so supportive. It's been a tough tough year. My teammates and I don't get along. They think I'm an idiot. (Even though I've taught for 22 years to their 6 and 8). My class has been so passive and unmotivated. Expectations keep going up and I've had absolutely exhausting behaviors. I wish retirement was closer. I'm just very depressed and sad.
Shell is offline   Reply With Quote

Countingdown

Crazy testing
Old 05-18-2019, 06:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

This test isnít just given to students in the US. I know a teacher at an international school. They take the MAP. If students score below the 95th percentile then they are considered special ed. Students usually score in the 99th percentile. These kids spend hours a day studying with tutors and thatís after theyíve gone to school all day. Iíve tried to explain this to my principal that we are comparing apples and oranges but she wants even bigger growth. Our schools just donít function this way and Iím glad we donít. My statistics professor in grad school started with the line, ďThereís lies. Thereís d*mn lies. And then thereís statistics.Ē Standardized tests are nothing but statistics and he told us not to put to much faith in them because numbers can always be manipulated to give you the results you want. I try hard to remember that when test results come in.
Countingdown is offline   Reply With Quote

MissAgnes

That's crazy.
Old 05-21-2019, 10:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

I can't imagine. In my school, the "high" kids are in the 50th percentile. More than 25% of our school is either AEL or special ed.
MissAgnes is offline   Reply With Quote

WhyHello

Old 05-25-2019, 09:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

The default number of words on each line from left to right on the ELA MAP test is ridiculous. I'm talking from my personal experience at the MS/HS level.

Makes it almost impossible to chunk the information they're reading, and there's no option to increase font size as far as I know.

It's a joke of test, but pretty much all standardized tests are jokes.

I call them McEducation.
WhyHello is offline   Reply With Quote