Help

The VENT

Pot stirring

>

70Primrose

Pot stirring
Old 05-20-2019, 08:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does anyone else ever feel like their P tries to stir the pot between grade levels or throw certain people or grade levels in your face? ďOh, Miss. Just Started Working Here is doing wonders with your difficult students from last year. She requested your most difficult from this year because she feels she can straighten him out.Ē So fed up. I also got a visit from negative Nancy today that makes me feel like crap. I hid in my room today, but they managed to worm their way in.

70Primrose is offline   Reply With Quote

marguerite2

Old 05-21-2019, 03:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Quote:
She requested your most difficult from this year because she feels she can straighten him out.”
Said no sane teacher ever.
marguerite2 is offline   Reply With Quote

elepen

Old 05-21-2019, 03:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

70Primrose
I hear ya. All I can say is Karma is a bitch and the year is almost over!!!!
elepen is offline   Reply With Quote

whiteturtle

Old 05-21-2019, 03:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

That is awful. I would've asked if she could take my difficult student right now.
whiteturtle is online now   Reply With Quote

HoHumBeachBum

Old 05-21-2019, 04:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Quote:
Oh, Miss. Just Started Working Here is doing wonders with your difficult students from last year.
I see this type of statement as something an unpleasant person would say just to intimidate and make another person feel very low.

There are many times I picture members of administration (or random members of the community) even trying to lead a classroom full of students. The image of how they'd (most likely) get eaten alive makes me smile.

HoHumBeachBum is offline   Reply With Quote

Teddi9192

Old 05-21-2019, 06:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

That teacher is across the hall from me. She definitely is regretting her bravado last year. We remind her frequently that she requested him.
Teddi9192 is online now   Reply With Quote

cruxian

Old 05-21-2019, 06:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

OP yep it happens here. I'm never sure with our admin if it's intentional or she's just oblivious. Apparently fourth grade walks on water and gets to tell admin what to do. They're mostly nice people.....my only criticisms are (a) if they're that great teachers, they should be willing to lend their leadership powers to other grade levels and (b) admin can spread the wealth to praise other grade levels.
cruxian is online now   Reply With Quote

PrivateEyes

I wonder if it's true?
Old 05-21-2019, 08:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Did new teacher request a most difficult child? (If so, she's probably insane, or will be) Or did principal tell Miss Just-Started-Working-Here that since she'd done such a great job with Kid A, she'd give him Kid B as well. Meanwhile, new teacher was afraid it would look bad if she wrote Kid A up too many times, so the class has suffered in silence, and now she's stuck with a worse kid?
PrivateEyes is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 05-21-2019, 10:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Quote:
if they're that great teachers, they should be willing to lend their leadership powers to other grade levels
What would that look like?
Zia is online now   Reply With Quote

cruxian

Old 05-21-2019, 11:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Zia, maybe I have phrased it badly. By lending their leadership powers to other grade levels, here's what I thought they might do:
*be willing to move to a new grade level that may have more inexperienced teachers or those who might benefit from strong teachers
*be willing to lead school-based professional development on their areas of specific expertise
*be willing to lead Teachers as Readers session on a professional development
*mentor first year teachers when they come to our school, even if they're not on their grade level (they are unwilling to allow any new teachers to join their grade level, either those within the school or a new hire)
*lead a committee at school or organize a club in their area of interest
*be the "lead teacher" at the school for their subject area (this teacher attends meetings at the district level, helps choose textbooks and implement state decisions on the district/school basis)

I guess what I mean is: our admin touts this grade level as the end-all-be-all. I don't really understand why. They are nice people. They seem like fine teachers. Their test scores aren't very good----not bad but not great. They have poor classroom management.

If they are as good as she says they are, then they should step up in the way I see other teachers doing in our school.

Does that make more sense?

UVAgrl928

Old 05-21-2019, 02:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Cruxian- ours is 4th grade too! We got a new teacher last year that is Godís gift to our school- all ideas that have previously been recommended by other teachers and grades were blown off. But of course, when it comes from her, itís a brand new idea!

Our principal loves the drama. Iíve never had a meeting with her where she didnít spend almost the entire time talking about what she doesnít like about her teachers, and she does pit us against each other.

We were in her good graces for about one week after our area superintendent called her about how high our testing scores were. We quickly fell from grace when our teammate called her on some of her crap and we all supported her lol.
UVAgrl928 is online now   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 05-21-2019, 02:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

cruxian, I wasn't being snarky and I'm sorry if it came off that way. I was legit curious and your answer does make sense. Thanks!

Haley23

Old 05-21-2019, 03:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I think some admins think that they will get better outcomes if they create "competition" among their employees and therefore they're actually doing this on purpose. I personally think it's a ridiculous and ineffective strategy, but I've certainly worked for people who've done it. I think in their minds, they think people will work harder or work to "raise the bar" when they create a competitive atmosphere. Instead, the exact opposite happens. People don't work as hard because it feels like "why bother."
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Monster123

Monster123

Old 05-21-2019, 05:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Quote:
"She requested your most difficult from this year because she feels she can straighten him out.”
And the award of Most dumb@ass Principal of the year goes to.................

70Primrose

Old 05-21-2019, 09:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

According to P Miss Newbie requested him in her class next year. Said she wants to try to straighten him out. Problem is he has diagnosed mental illness, mom was on drugs when pregnant.

Last edited by 70Primrose; 05-21-2019 at 09:30 PM.. Reason: Wrong wording

70Primrose

Old 05-21-2019, 09:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

According to P Miss Newbie requested him in her class next year. Said she wants to try to straighten him out. Problem is he has been diagnosed with mental illness, in utero brain damage, mom was on drugs. No one else has been able to fix that. I have so much wonderful support from our resource teacher and counselor and they have known him since kinder. They havenít fixed him. Apparently she thinks she is a miracle worker.

Or, my P is a giant pot stirrer and making crap up! Just to cause competition! I am not motivated by that.

cruxian

Old 05-22-2019, 04:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Zia---good! I didn't interpret it as snarky but glad it wasn't. I just was in a rush and not explaining my thinking.

Zia

Old 05-22-2019, 05:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I know that tone doesn't always come across, so wanted to be sure! Thanks!

Sbkangas5

Old 05-22-2019, 02:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

One of my favorite tv quotes lately - "when there's a pot of ####e on to boil you stir like it's God's own work".
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

70Primrose

To Cruxian
Old 05-22-2019, 08:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

That is how our situation is only flipped. Third walks on water and then makes comments about our test scores. I agree they need to lend a hand, be kind and help to make the school better not just their grade.

Last edited by 70Primrose; 05-22-2019 at 08:40 PM.. Reason: Spelling