BusyBoard

Sharing a Classroom - Advice Appreciated

>

Teacher(s)

Teacher(s)

Sharing a Classroom - Advice Appreciated
Old 06-06-2019, 08:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Our school will be under construction next year, so they are having 2 of us share a kinder room with 40+ students. Has anyone had experience with this, or have any recommendations or tips??

knit1purl2

Recommendations
Old 06-07-2019, 06:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Try to arrange different recess times and lunch times. That way you can have a little special time for each set of students. The two teachers should agree on the classroom rules and expectations. Take turns being the emcee for the lessons and the other being support. Maintain two teacher desks, to keep separate what must be separate. One set of lesson plans for all. It can be done successfully!
knit1purl2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Room share
Old 06-07-2019, 06:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

40 kids all at the same time????

I had to do this for only one half day a week. It was tricky and a good thing the other teacher and I were friends.

Agree on different recess and lunch schedules. Hopefully different specials schedules. There will be constant disruption from the coming and going.

Coteach for sure.

And lay in a large supply of Tylenol and wine.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

readerleader

Old 06-07-2019, 08:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Instead of thinking of it as sharing a room, how about sharing the students and treat it as one class with two teachers. There will be challenges, but ultimately, I think this will work better than just trying to share space.
readerleader is offline   Reply With Quote

DSLBUG

Old 06-07-2019, 10:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Communication is going to be key!

DSLBUG is offline   Reply With Quote

booklady57

Wow! That is a lot of kids in one room!
Old 06-07-2019, 11:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I agree with another poster. I think your best bet is to think of yourselves as co-teachers and plan together, trading off who leads what activity. I hope that you and the other teacher are pretty compatible! Use the opportunity to go to your strengths and to learn from each other. I wouldn't try to separate the kids too much. I think the idea of separate recess and other pull out times would actually just increase the chaos level. Maybe color code the groups and have a red team and a blue team for those times when it is necessary to divide them? Good luck!
booklady57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 06-07-2019, 03:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Although 40 kids is a ton, I think it could be really great if done well and if you and your partner get along well. I have shared a room for most of my career - both in an am/pm kinder setting and now in a job share. Some things that are key:
  • Obviously, you need to be on the same page in terms of discipline, your daily schedule, etc. Be flexible and willing to try new things. Compromise. And talk it all through.
  • Honesty is key. It will not work if you can't be honest with each other. If something's not working for you, say something. If your feelings are hurt, let your partner know. There has to be trust for it to work. We liken our relationship to a work marriage.
  • Play to your strengths! If one of you loves doing math and one loves ELA, use that. I love doing the tech stuff, my partner loves being the verbal communicator, I love bulletin boards, she doesn't mind doing the copying, etc. Don't box yourselves into "roles", but definitely use your strengths and passions to their fullest.
  • Since this is new to both of you, talk about giving things 4-5 weeks and then re-evaluating, especially in terms of things like how grouping works, storage, all of that stuff that will be different with so many kids.
  • Decide how you will break up the days. Will one person take the lead each day, and you switch daily or weekly? Will you each take a subject or a certain part of the day? You'll have a lot of options!
  • Talk about expectations for noise level. Everyone has a different tolerance.
  • You'll have a lot of options, which could be very exciting! One teacher leads the whole group while the other pulls intervention groups. Split the kids in half and one goes outside and one stays in. So much flexibility in grouping. One person assesses while the other teaches. Lots of great possibilities!
Most of all, enjoy having another teacher in your room. I have learned so many things from my partners! I can't tell you how many times I've watched my partner teach, or just overheard a conversation she's having with a kid, and I think "brilliant - why didn't I think of that?" Planning is so much better with two of us. We are able to flesh out ideas, and when one of us has a new idea or something we want to try, the other always has a suggestion to make it even better. Kids don't fall through the cracks as easily - I notice things that my partner doesn't, and vice versa. And we connect differently with each kid and family. And dealing with difficult parents is so much easier because you don't have to deal with it yourself! When we have to send an email or are unsure about how to approach a conversation, we have the other person (that knows the situation, family, and child) to help. And we double team it with those really difficult ones.

I hope that it works out well for you! Hopefully it is an amazing adventure!
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

UVAgrl928

Old 06-09-2019, 07:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I did this one year with 38 kids- as others said, we looked at them as ďourĒ class even though we had different rosters. Itís definitely a lot of kids in one room, and youíll be putting fires out constantly. Itís getting late here, but send me a message and we can chat 😘 I had a poor experience with it one year, but then when my best friend and I were together it was flawless.
UVAgrl928 is offline   Reply With Quote