Help

The VENT

Job hunting

>

GreyhoundGirl

Job hunting
Old 06-13-2019, 11:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I’m just tired of job hunting and hitting walls. It’s exhausting and deflating.

That’s all.

GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 06-13-2019, 11:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Does that mean you talked to the admin at your summer school location?

And, yes! Looking for jobs sucks. It is the worst job and so demoralizing when you don't get nibbles, much less bites.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 06-13-2019, 11:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I did. She said she’d pass my information along to the team. I’m not holding my breath.

I also applied to a 3rd grade position in a district that had me redo my digital interview. I don’t know why I went through the hassle of redoing the dreaded digital interview for nothing.

Just frustrated. Thanks for listening.

And a woman I hate more than anything (she’s a backstabbing gossip. Seriously, a horrible human being) just got hired in for an admin position in my current position. I’m just really struggling with that.
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Violet4

Greyhound Girl
Old 06-13-2019, 11:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

(hugs)

Job hunting is the worst, and people act like it's easy to switch schools.
Violet4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Fractured

Old 06-13-2019, 12:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I feel you. All of the schools I subbed at are budget cutting, so any networking I had is wasted. Preparing to move out of state I guess.

Fractured is online now   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 06-13-2019, 12:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Maybe you should try a George Costanza move. Everything you would normally do or say during an interview - say the opposite.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

UniversalDes

Hang in there!
Old 06-13-2019, 01:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

You're not alone in the job hunt. I have been hunting two years while working on my dissertation and fled from a very toxic environment. My latest rejection letter made me laugh as I had applied for an Assistant Principal position.

"You're not a strong educator."

I started laughing because all my evaluations were great and my scores were good. I guess I didn't want to be a part of that "mean girls" club anyways.

Hang in there!
UniversalDes is offline   Reply With Quote

bteach99

I agree
Old 06-13-2019, 02:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I find it demoralizing and depressing.
bteach99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Paddlegurl

Old 06-13-2019, 03:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I'm just about fed up with it too. It's a long and painful process to get a permanent position in my province and I've had years of rotten luck, while I've watched countless other people be in the right place at the right time.

My problem now is that because I have experience teaching French, I get totally overlooked for any English position, but I'm still not getting the French jobs.
Paddlegurl is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Job hunting
Old 06-13-2019, 03:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Not quite a George Costanza, but, maybe, back away for a bit.

This is my personal two cents: sometimes we spend so much time, energy, thought, etc. focusing on one thing that it takes on a life of its own, which then begins to consume all positive energy in its path. A self fulfilling prophesy.

At those times, I have (sometimes still kicking and screaming) stepped away for a few weeks to let everything around me calm down, and refocus on the whole of my life.

And then an answer or solution makes its self known.

An example would be all the angst and depression over my turning 65.

Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

heatherk

Over it
Old 06-13-2019, 04:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I decided several months ago that I needed to change jobs based on the toll it was taking on my physical and mental health. I have been applying like crazy, but only went on one interview. This past weekend, I finally resigned myself to staying where I am (which was a lot of emotional and mental work), scheduled a meeting with my boss to talk about how we can make my position more manageable (they fired 3 people and now i do their jobs plus mine) and signed another year's lease for my rental house. Today I get two calls for interviews! I am excited about possibilities, but I really wanted to know what I was doing next year. I hate all this up in the air and I hate the rejection that I feel every time I get one of those stupid emails from HR telling me I did not get the job.
heatherk is offline   Reply With Quote

apple annie

Old 06-13-2019, 05:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Right there with ya! It's so draining!
apple annie is offline   Reply With Quote

happygal

California
Old 06-13-2019, 06:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Read the book, "who moved my cheese?"

happygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Elorafaun

Elorafaun

My fave part of the process...
Old 06-13-2019, 07:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Is at the end of the interview when they almost always say...

“We will let you know (insert general date/time) about our decision.”
Said time/date passes. You decide to follow the “allotted double time” rule. Still nothing. Not even a one word or a sentence email. Or a “This position has been filled. Thank you for applying” auto message. Hearing nothing hurts more than their this. Bleh.

One job literally told me “We won't leave you hanging.” You can probably guess what happened there.

I know WHY they do it (to avoid lawsuits, to not have to deal with annoying or nosy applicants, keep your info on file just in case, budget issues, internal politics, and so on) But it doesn't make it any easier.

NJ Teacher

A Difficult Process Without Connections...
Old 06-14-2019, 09:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I taught in a small, rural district my first 12 years. I loved the job, but knew from a practical standpoint as a single person, the area was not where I wanted to grow old and retire. I also wanted to be closer to family and to earn more money.

I looked over a 6 year period, but I only did it every other year because of the time consuming nature of the process and the rejection factor. I also was conflicted because I genuinely liked my job, which is different from your situation.

Along the way, the worst rejection was from a principal on Long Island, who told me directly in these words that she would love to have me teach 4th grade for her, sent me on a wild goose chase group interview for a sixth grade job, and didn't even have the courtesy to send the rejection letter in a timely manner.It came months later to the wrong address. When I contacted her to thank her after this and to ask her if she had any suggestions on what I could have done differently so I could grow from the experience, she said she thought I would be better suited for the middle school, so she sent me on there. Huh?

In the district I retired from, new people are introduced to the staff at our first district-wide meeting. It is amazing how many of them are either graduates of the district or have connections to the principals and/or supervisors. Not so much direct relatives, but friends of their children. I doubt I would ever be hired in the district today.

Wishing you only the best of luck in your search. If there is a teacher shortage, it sure isn't in my area.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

applesaucencr

Old 06-15-2019, 08:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I decided to step back a bit. Having a lot of experience and education, it is just more likely that I will be able to land a new position in the middle or end of summer when all the newer and cheaper candidates have been hired and the pool of applicants is smaller. This is how several colleagues from my former district were able to find new jobs. I am also casually looking at positions at small colleges and non-education jobs.

I do love my part-time position and I absolutely do not regret resigning from the awful district I worked in for so long. It was a great place for about 8 years which is why I stayed for so long. But, I would like to get back to full-time or even a .8 position. Unfortunately, there is very little turnover where I currently work. My department will probably need a full-time person but it may not happen until the middle of next school year year or even the year after due to how budgets are planned.

Maybe take a break and look at posting once per week. And, only apply if the position is something you *really* want. Pick up teh search again at the end of July.
applesaucencr is offline   Reply With Quote

crystalina

Old 06-15-2019, 10:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I vote for the George Constanza move! Maybe it will work!!!!!
crystalina is offline   Reply With Quote

checkerjane

Old 06-16-2019, 08:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I feel your pain. It sucks.
checkerjane is online now   Reply With Quote