Help

Fourth Grade

Reading groups

>

maddydaddy

Reading groups
Old 06-23-2010, 06:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I was wondering if someone wouldn't mind explaining how they do reading their room. What does a typical day look like? We are required to do 1.5 hours of reading daily. I'm looking to tweak my reading instruction to find a routine that includes using a reading series, fluency practice, and read alouds.

maddydaddy is offline   Reply With Quote

All Frogs

Daily 5
Old 06-23-2010, 06:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Have you looked into the Daily 5 format? Not only will it organize your instruction, it will give you plenty of time to bring in the reading activites you mentioned and it will make your 1.5 hours reading block fly by!!! I highly recommend it, it's an easy read, and will tell you EXACTLY what to do. I checked it out from my public library a few years ago, so it didn't cost me a penny to learn about it.
All Frogs is offline   Reply With Quote

DaisyLilli

Old 06-23-2010, 06:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I do....

10 min Word Study
20 min Mini-Lesson
60 min Workstations/Guided Reading
15 min Ind. Reading

I have a daily schedule and guided reading schedule for students. PM me if you want some examples! Good luck!
DaisyLilli is offline   Reply With Quote

petlover

Reading Schedule
Old 06-24-2010, 03:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I also use Daily 5 and CAFE (as mentioned above) to organize/manage my Reading Time each day. My school corp. requires that I use "Balanced Literacy" to teach reading (whole group lessons & small leveled reading groups). We currently have RIGBY Literacy by Design as our Reading Series.
What I love about Daily 5 is that you can use whatever Reading Series/books you want, it all fits nicely. I just use the Basal for the whole group mini-lessons (Vocabulary, Spelling, Grammar, Comprehension Strategy) then I meet with small leveled groups inbetween the mini-lessons. My Reading Series has small books to use during small group, however I don't like them so I have my small groups reading actual novels (I just focus on the Reading Strategy from the Reading Textbook with whatever the small group is reading).

So here is my Reading Schedule:
10/15 min: Spelling (intro. words, skill work)
20 min: Daily 5 (ALL "read to self" ~ teacher: meeting 1-on-1 for indep. conferencing)
15 min: Reading Textbook (Comprehension Strategy Lesson)
20 min: Daily 5 (students work indep. on a Daily 5 choice ~ teacher: small group)
15 min: Grammar Lesson (English Book/Reading Textbook Lesson)
20 min: Daily 5 (students work indep. on Daily 5 choice ~ teacher: small group)

Students must finish written work from mini-lessons before moving on to their Daily 5 choice for that session. Sometimes I put Writing in place of the grammar or spelling mini-lesson. I try to meet with each group twice a week. (However, this year I will have 30+ students and am not sure how I can have "small" groups and meet with everyone twice a week - I am thinking on that problem this summer).

If Daily 5 interests you, I suggest reading the book. Also, there is a thread here on proteacher that other Daily 5 users post on (not sure what it is called - I think Peony Room). I have gotten LOTS of ideas for using Daily 5 in the classroom. I plan to implement some of their ideas for next year.
petlover is offline   Reply With Quote