Help

Second Grade

"Care 4 Kids" means no more color changes PLEASE HELP

>

kyteacher1

"Care 4 Kids" means no more color changes PLEASE HELP
Old 07-21-2010, 05:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

The Care for Kids program adopted by our district means that we can no longer use any kind of color system for behavior management. My 2nd graders have only known "change your color" during their 2 yrs of school. I am very nervous about what will happen when we start the school yr and they see that there is no color system nor any other kind of visual behavior management system.

I thought about explaining to students that because they r now "big 2nd graders" we will no longer do "change your color". Instead we will try our very best every day and I will give reminders when needed. Instead of putting a calendar in their take home folder that shows parents what color they were on, I am going to put a paper in their folder that says "HOW WAS MY DAY" with a writing space for each day of the month. At the end of the day it will be their responsibility to tell parents how their day was and then I will initial it if I agree with their sentence. If I disagree we will then talk about what needs to be changed OR I will tell students if they are not truthful then I am the one who will write the sentence.

I was going to practice some sentences with them like "This morning I did a great job reading, but I needed a reminder to stop talking at the carpet". Parents will initial each evening to show they read the sentence.

do u think this is too hard for 2nd grade? Will it work? Please provide feedback. I am so nervous about this change.

kyteacher1 is offline   Reply With Quote

igaboo8

Hmmm
Old 07-21-2010, 06:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I don't necessarily (sp?) think that it would be too hard for 2nd graders, but I do think it's going to take a lot of time. Especially at the beginning of the year. Do you have to do it each day? Maybe you could do this as a weekly thing instead...?
igaboo8 is offline   Reply With Quote

newtch08

Old 07-21-2010, 06:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

What I would do is follow the program that your district gave and see how the first few weeks go. If there is a time-out consequence or another consequence, you can track how often students need a reminder or a time-out. Those students who are really struggling can then have a daily note home with the number of time-outs they had. Chances are most of your students will do well without the color chart and then you can create individual plans for those who need it.
newtch08 is offline   Reply With Quote

Beachy Teach

Old 07-21-2010, 07:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I don't know anything about the Care 4 Kids program but my second graders had a planner where they had to write their homework, conduct grade, vocabulary word of the day with sentence, and then a paragraph for each day. I know that you can't have a conduct grade, but in the paragraph, if the student had a particularly hard day, they had to write a sentence or two about what happened and how they were going to try and do it differently the next day. My students also had the chance to recieve a better conduct grade for doing nice things for others. They also got to write about what they did to recieve a better grade.

The small paragraph about their day really helped them become responsible for their actions, whatever the event. Not sure if that helps, but second graders are capable of writing about their day.
Beachy Teach is offline   Reply With Quote

jday

KY too
Old 07-25-2010, 02:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

KYteacher,
I am curious as to what county you are in? I too am a KY teacher in Western KY

jday is offline   Reply With Quote

Catcher98

Old 07-26-2010, 07:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

dont be scared. I used a color thing my 1st year and never have again. This is my 6th year to not use one. I dont know the care 4 kids, but i use great expectations just in my room and I love not having the cards. If a student has a bad day, I write something short on the folder and I go and tell the parent about it at the end of the day when then child is picked up. It helps with parent communication!
Catcher98 is offline   Reply With Quote

Coop'smom

Behavior Management system
Old 07-27-2010, 07:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

In my KY 2nd grade classroom I am able to use the color cards as a visual for kids. However there is a rubric attached to each color (4, 3, 2, 1) 4 being "I had a great day." If you created some sort of simple chart for yourself, you could keep it on a clip board and when you give a student a reminder (would have made them flip a card) record a check by their name and give the student their warning. At the end of the day, my students write their behavior score in their agenda book along with a sentence explaining what they did. Kind of exactly like you are proposing. Students do this during our packing up. I move around the room as students are preparing for home to initial their agenda books and check their scores and notes. if the notes are inaccurate, I won't sign until they correct. It is very doable to get done. We begin this routine at 2:30 and students are ready for dismissal at 2:40.
Coop'smom is offline   Reply With Quote