Help

TEACHERS' LOUNGE ARCHIVE

Have you ever had to give a cat a pill?

>

goldwinggirl

Have you ever had to give a cat a pill?
Old 08-05-2010, 11:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My cat needs to take 2 pills twice a day. I have tried to crush the pills & put them in cat food,but that is not working. Any suggestions? TIA

poppyrocky

The only thing that worked...
Old 08-05-2010, 12:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

for my cat was placing the pill in a piece of the smelliest canned tuna.

bookgeek59

Old 08-05-2010, 12:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Call your vet and ask for a pill plunger. It's a long plastic syringe with a flexible end that "captures" and holds a pill in place. You load the plunger, put kitty's mouth back, plunge the plunger in from the side of kitty's mouth (no chance of being bitten). Then hold kitty's mouth shut until he/she swallows. If he/she is trying not swallow, stroke his/her throat until you feel a swallow. If your vet charges you for it, it shouldn't be more than a few bucks.

Hope kitty is better soon!

mrsteach

Old 08-05-2010, 12:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Cats are too smart. I used to have to put the pill in my cat's mouth and hold his mouth shut. Then I rubbed under his neck/throat so that he would have the impulse to swallow. He still was able to spit the pill out sometimes, though, so I just kept doing the same thing. Eventually he swallowed it. Good luck!

ungere

Ask your vet if...
Old 08-05-2010, 12:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

...they have one of those plunger/syringe things. It's a long thin syringe like thing with a rubber tip that you just slip the pill into. All you have to do is put some pressure on the sides of the kitty's mouth and plunge the pill in when he opens his mouth. Worked for us!

Fleurdelys

Old 08-05-2010, 12:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Hold the cats jaws which forces the mouth open. Drop the pill down the cat's throat. It helps if the cat's head is tilted back with mouth up. Try and drop near the back of the throat. If it is near the front the cat will spit it out. Not as bad as it sounds. The quicker you do this the easier it is for you.

Winn-Dixie

Old 08-05-2010, 12:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Torture. Absolute torture!!!

PITA kitten had to take them for whatever reason a few months ago. I tried crushing them into bits and putting it in his food. I was slightly successful. I tried the pill pockets. That was a no go. I wrapped it up in bits of deli turkey. Nope. I tried shoving it in his mouth - nope.

I hope to never ever give him a pill again!

Zee

Old 08-05-2010, 12:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

My cat will take them when they are wrapped in a small piece of cheese. She loves cheese and so she thinks it's a treat.

Moana Mel

Old 08-05-2010, 12:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Did the vet say to crush them? I'm just thinking it may be like people pills, some you have to swallow whole.

Anyway, yes (unfortunately) I've had to give many a cat pill. What works for me with every cat I've had is to hold the cat with one arm as I kneel on the floor with it between my legs. I tuck the cat really close to my body with its head facing outward. Then I use that same hand (on the arm that's holding the cat) to gently push the cat's mouth open. I use my thumb on one side of its mouth and my forefinger on the other side (my hand is under its chin). I get its head tilted backward so I can see into its mouth, and then with my other hand I throw the pill into its throat, holding the mouth closed afterward and stroking its throat so it swallows. If you "throw" it well it goes down right away.

peggy27

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I don't know if they have them for cats but my vet has pill poppers for dogs. It's a soft treat you put the pill inside it and they eat it. Only way my dog would eat them.

fishgirl

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I have to pry the cat's mouth open and then hold his mouth shut until he swallows. On tip...I usually sit on the floor with my knees bent and hold the cat between my legs. Then my hands are more free to get the pill in.

MrsCroak

Old 08-05-2010, 12:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

your post reminded me of a funny "give a cat a pill" instruction sheet:

1. Sit on sofa. Pick up cat and cradle it in the crook of your elbow as though you were going to give a bottle to a baby. Talk softly to it.

2. With right hand, position right forefinger and thumb on either side of cat's mouth and gently apply pressure to cheeks while holding pill in right hand. (be patient) As cat opens mouth pop pill into mouth. Allow cat to close mouth and swallow. Drop pill into mouth. Let go of cat, noticing the direction it runs.

3. Pick the pill up off the floor and go get the cat from behind sofa. Cradle cat in left arm and repeat process. Sit on floor in kitchen, wrap arm around cat as before, drop pill in mouth. Let go of cat, noticing the direction it runs.

4. Scoot across floor to pick up pill, and go find the cat. Retrieve cat from bedroom, and throw soggy pill away. Bring it back into the kitchen. Take new pill from foil wrap, cradle cat in left arm holding rear paws tightly with left hand. Force jaws open and push pill to back of mouth with right forefinger. Hold mouth shut for a count of ten. Drop pill into mouth.

5. Pry claws from back legs out of your arm. Go get the cat, pick up half-dissolved pill from floor and drop it into garbage can.

6. Retrieve pill from goldfish bowl and cat from top of closet. Call spouse from backyard. Kneel on floor with cat wedged firmly between knees, hold front and rear paws. Ignore low growls emitted by cat. Get spouse to hold head firmly with one hand while forcing wooden ruler into mouth. Drop pill down ruler and rub cat's throat vigorously.

7. Retrieve cat from curtain rod, get another pill from foil wrap. Make note to buy new ruler and repair curtains. Carefully sweep shattered Doulton figures from hearth and set to one side for gluing later.

8. Get spouse to lie on cat with head just visible from below armpit. Put pill in end of drinking straw, force mouth open with pencil and blow down drinking straw.

9. Check label to make sure pill not harmful to humans, drink glass of water to take taste away. Apply Band-Aid to spouse's forearm and remove blood from carpet with cold water and soap.

10. Retrieve cat from neighbor's shed. Get another pill. Place cat in cupboard and close door onto neck to leave head showing. Force mouth open with dessert spoon. Flick pill down throat with rubber band.

11. Fetch screwdriver from garage and put door back on hinges. Apply cold compress to cheek and check records for date of last tetanus shot. Throw T-shirt away and fetch new one from bedroom.

12. Call fire department to retrieve cat from tree across the road. Apologize to neighbor who crashed into fence while swerving to avoid cat. Take another pill from foil wrap.

13. Tie cat's front paws to rear paws with garden twine and bind tightly to leg of dining table, find heavy duty pruning gloves from shed, force cat's mouth open with small spanner. Push pill into mouth followed by large piece of fillet steak. Hold head vertically and pour one cup of water down throat to wash pill down.

14. Get spouse to drive you to the emergency room, sit quietly while doctor stitches fingers and forearm and removes pill remnants from right eye. Call at furniture shop on way home to order new table.

15. Get last pill from bottle. Go into bathroom and get a fluffy towel. Stay in the bathroom with the cat, and close the door.

16. Sit on bathroom floor, wrap towel around kitty, leaving only his head exposed. Cradle kitty in the crook of your arm, and pick up pill off of counter.

17. Retrieve cat from top of shower door (you didn't know that cats can jump 5 feet straight up in the air, did you?), and wrap towel around it a little tighter, making sure its paws can't come out this time. With fingers at either side of its jaw, pry it open and pop pill into mouth. Quickly close mouth (his, not yours).

18. Sit on floor with cat in your lap, stroking it under the chin and talking gently to it for at least a half hour, while the pill dissolves.

19. Unwrap towel, open bathroom door. Wash off scratches in warm soapy water, comb your hair, and go find something to occupy your time for 7-1/2 hours.

20. Arrange for SPCA to get cat and call local pet shop to see if they have any hamsters.

Last edited by MrsCroak; 08-05-2010 at 05:57 PM..

HBteach

Old 08-05-2010, 12:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Our cat loooved peanut butter. I would put a little pb on the end of a knife or my finger then put the pills in the pb. It worked every time. She would lick the pb off the knife. Sometimes the pill was the last thing she licked off but at least she would eat the pill.

Good luck. Fleurdelys is correct as to how to put it down their throat. I do that with our dog who will NOT eat pb.

TXlady

Old 08-05-2010, 12:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I agree about the pill plunger. It is so much easier. My cat still fights me with the pill plunger, but at least she gets the pill down.

HBteach

Mrs. Croak
Old 08-05-2010, 12:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

You made my day!! That was a great description of a cat, pill, and owner. Loved it.

h0kie

Cat pills
Old 08-05-2010, 01:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

We use a pill shooter too. DH usually does it. He pries the mouth open by yanking on the chin hairs, shoots the pill in, holds the cat's mouth shut, and then I put peroxide on his scratches. lol

It wasn't a bad system until we tried it with the Persian. He's a little bit more tricky.

Tiki

Pill for kitty.
Old 08-05-2010, 01:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I have given plenty of pills to my cat. Moana Mel described the method I always used. Once the cat sticks its tongue out to lick its nose you "know" it has swallowed. Some are clever enough to swallow without swallowing the pill. I always follow the pill ordeal up with a treat so the cat didn't think the process was all bad.

You could ask your vet if the medication comes in liquid form. Some cats take that easier. My cat didn't. As soon as the liquid touched the back of his tongue he started shaking his head with his mouth open. I wore more of the pink goo every time than actually got into him.
So you may want to try liquid medication with old clothing on.

Tiki

MrsCroak
Old 08-05-2010, 01:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I had to stop reading your post. People are staring at me. I'll have to wait until I get home to finish it. Thanks for posting it. Great description!

rhubarb

Old 08-05-2010, 01:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

Yes. I tried the tuna with one of my cats that needed thyroid meds. She passed in 2000. She always did not eat the pill. I found gently but firmly holding her and using one hand to pry her mouth open behind the back teeth- you simply have to get it in (I kind of aimed and shot gently) to the back of the tongue worked. Then close the mouth and rub gently under the chin.

NCTchr

Old 08-05-2010, 03:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

Mine is on four pills every day, and I usually use the pill plunger. Sometimes, though, hiding them in treats (Friskies makes a soft treat that you can mold around the pill) works. Until she figures it out and we're back to the plunger til she forgets again...

McCub

Another vote for the "plunger"
Old 08-05-2010, 03:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

Using the pill-er (what our vet calls it) is the *only* way we've ever been able to (a) get a pill successfully inside a cat, and (b) have it remain there.

The only drawback we've found is that small pills (or larger pills cut into very small pieces for partial doses) don't work well.

Good luck!

Last edited by McCub; 08-05-2010 at 03:37 PM.. Reason: Fixed typo

knb0628

Old 08-05-2010, 04:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

We use pill pockets and they are GREAT! The cats love them and eat the pill right up. They are made by greenies and you can get them at target and petsmart (and probably other places).

techgrad

Greenies!!!
Old 08-05-2010, 04:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

They make a pill pocket and my cat loves the treats and the pill pockets... even will eat them without meds

crazy4catz

cats & pills
Old 08-05-2010, 05:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

Ask the doctor if it comes in a shot. DONE! Thanks Mrs. Croak for the laugh. Gotta copy that and send it to a couple of cat loving friends.

RadSub19

my advice...
Old 08-05-2010, 08:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

i didn't read all of the posts but I learned this from Martha Stewart haha!

Pry the cats mouth open by pushing on the back of its mouth...drop the pill in and blow in their face! They start swallowing! It really works!

BioAdoptMom3

Old 08-06-2010, 07:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

Not a cat, but for our dogs we have always just coated it with peanut butter. They just gobble it right up.

Nancy

krazieforu

Old 08-06-2010, 08:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #27

I did not read everyone's posts, but we just had this trouble with our two cats. If you open their mouths, drop the pill in, close their mouth, and then rub their neck. This induces the swallowing motion for them.