Help

Classroom Management

When class doesn't follow CHAMPS

>

maddydaddy

When class doesn't follow CHAMPS
Old 08-18-2010, 05:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I use a mixture of PBS and CHAMPS. In my room, I use CHAMPS to let the kids know what is acceptable at that time. During my morning meetings I teach problem solving and interpersonal skills. For individual misbehavior, I like to use logical consequences and a chill zone, but..... lately my class has been having A LOT of trouble following the CHAMPS chart and paying attention during class. What kinds of logical consequences do you all use for not paying attention, and not following the expectations?

maddydaddy is offline   Reply With Quote

kshaw

Old 08-19-2010, 02:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

A logical consequence for not paying attention might be that you refuse to repeat info. that they miss. You might even do a spur of the moment oral "quiz" on the info. that you just went over and reward those students who were paying attention.

I'm not familiar with champs, so I really don't know what the expectations are. . .
kshaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 08-19-2010, 02:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

When they don't follow CHAMPs, then stop and reteach the procedure.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

kariered

Old 09-01-2010, 05:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

at the beginning of the year I make my charts for CHAMPs into a handout. some times it is a couple of pages and I staple it together. I make them keep this in their binders because at times we will have to refer back to it. If I have several people who cannot follow the CHAMPs for a certain activity (I teach middle school orchestra and I have these main activities: Tuning/Entering, Rehearsal/Class, Packing Up/Exiting.) I have charts for each activity and two columns underneath the activity for "Looks Like" and "Sounds Like". We read through each item and I describe it, or ask the students to describe it. By this time, it is obvious they know what they were doing wrong, plus they really dislike having to go over CHAMPs procedures, esp the older ones because they've been through it so many times. They would much rather be playing music.
kariered is offline   Reply With Quote