Help

The VENT

I can't go back in time..

>

poppyrocky

I can't go back in time..
Old 09-27-2012, 06:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I currently have completed 1/6 of a school year...and I don't think I can do any more.

I am beyond exhausted. This is my sixth year of teaching AND being a graduate student. When I was first hired as a teacher...I also started my first semester of grad school. Now I am teaching...and also working on my doctorate. I have had practically no free time...evenings..weekends...sum mers...study and work.

I just physically. and emotionally caant keep up with either. I want to resign.
I was not going to return to teaching this year...I had secured a graduate assistantship...but I passed that up.
I love teaching...but I also feel like its time to focus on myself. I cant study and work. I would rather spend the next year finishing my degree.

I would just appreciate any thoughts...comments...or questions for me to reflect on...this is a very difficult time in my life...

poppyrocky is offline   Reply With Quote

Isis2

Is your doctorate in education/teaching?
Old 09-27-2012, 06:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Would you have more credibility as a working teacher? I would think your own classroom would be the ideal lab for whatever your dissertation involves?

Are you planning to teach at the college level? I'd have more respect for you as a professor if you had tried out your own theories and methods on a class in which you had a real stake. In other words, your evaluations were based on how well those theories worked and how much your kids actually learned (and demonstrated on the test!). It was actually your class!

I know firsthand that teaching and doing graduate work is hard. I also think resignations are hard on kids. Could you take one less class a semester and finish a little later? Make sure you've thought through how a resignation from a teaching position might look to whoever is hiring wherever you go.
Isis2 is offline   Reply With Quote

timeforbed

Old 09-27-2012, 07:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Why are you getting a doctorate? Is it in education? Is it in a specialized field? It's going to make you hard to hire due to the higher pay, so think carefully about leaving. If the doctorate is in a field that will make you more attractive as an employee, then so be it. Take some time out to finish it.

But in my experience, having to hire you as a regular classroom teacher when you come in on a higher pay scale isn't going to be easy...at least here in my district. If that is the case, keep the job and scale back on the classes.
timeforbed is offline   Reply With Quote

Jade

Leave of Absence?
Old 09-27-2012, 08:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Perhaps you should look into getting a sabbatical or a leave for the rest of this year. Never burn bridges--you might need to cross them again someday.
Jade is offline   Reply With Quote

Hideeho

Old 09-27-2012, 09:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have always had the understanding that the work involved in getting your doctorate was a whole other ball of wax than getting your Masters. So much more work, so much more intense.

timeforbed has some good thoughts and advice.

Let us know how this works out.

Hideeho is offline   Reply With Quote

poppyrocky

Thank you all...
Old 09-28-2012, 03:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

My degree is in educational administration...career-wise...I would like to go into higher education.

My district doesn't allow for a leave of absence....although that would be ideal.

As for the courses...the program is structured in such a way that I need to take the courses offered...when they are offered. There is no flexibility there.

I absolutely don't want to burn bridges at my district...but I know I can't keep going at this pace.

subczy

agree with you
Old 09-28-2012, 06:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I think taking the year off and finishing the doctorate sounds like what you need to do. yes, a classroom would be a help to do your dis but not at the expense of not completing or having a life.

I know the charity I worked for supplied most if not all of the data fo rsomeone in our school system who was working on this same degree. Perhaps a local charity can supply you with what you need when it comes times.

Good luck and it is okay to realign your priorities!
subczy is offline   Reply With Quote

QueenBee2011

My advice
Old 09-28-2012, 08:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Try to make it to Christmas. That way when a new teacher comes in she/he can pick it up in January and finish the year off.
QueenBee2011 is offline   Reply With Quote

poppyrocky

Thank you all...
Old 10-01-2012, 05:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

for your feedback. It definitely has left me a lot to think about.

I've never been in this sort of position before where I feel beyond overwhelmed. I guess everyone has their limit, and I have met mine.

I have decided to resign at the end of the fall semester. I will let HR know at the end of this month. That should give them ample time to find a replacment. I also plan on leaving all of the teacher resources, decorations, and other supplies to whoever replaces me. That should help the newly hired teacher.

I know for me, this is the right thing to do. I know that by leaving my position, I will be allowing another individual the opportunity to get hired and teach. That makes me feel much better. (I started teaching in Jan. after a teacher resigned in Dec....I had just graduated from the university and it was such a blessing to find a job so soon.)

Am I scared about leaving my job and living off of my savings for the next year and a half? Absolutely. Will leaving mid year result in people talking about me and leave me with a tarnished reputation? That is highly likely.

Decisions...decisions...I'll choose my path...and see what life has in store for me.