Help

Special Education

State test pressure?

>

ST13

State test pressure?
Old 04-14-2016, 05:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

How do you handle state test pressure from parents etc?

I have fourth graders who are mainstreamed but get pulled out for certain subjects into small groups. They are all doing grade level curriculum for the most part but may be lower readers or have some IEP goals that are below grade level.

We do pretty much everything the gen Ed kids do but I modify and we go at a MUCH slower pace. So slow that we are pretty behind and I'm worried about the state tests coming up. I know technically that if they don't pass it's not the end of the world and to be honest they could totally pass but I feel like there is just so much to teach and at the pace we go not enough time to teach it.

It's frustrating because if they just had a modified test with the same topics as gen Ed but maybe with graphic organizers etc they'd do amazing!!

I'm a first year teacher so I'm pretty stressed about this.

ST13 is offline   Reply With Quote

eeza

modified state tests
Old 04-14-2016, 05:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I am not sure how it is from state to state, but my state does offer modified tests for SPED students if the IEP team decides they need a modified test. It is for all subjects that the gen ed students test in.
eeza is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 04-14-2016, 07:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I don't feel a lot of pressure surrounding state testing from my admin. I work in a low SES school where may gen ed students aren't passing. With our old state test we had about 50-65% passing, depending on the grade level. When we switched to PARCC we went to about 10-20% passing. Obviously with such overall dismal results no one is putting a spotlight on why students with documented disabilities aren't passing. I don't think most of our parents are really involved enough to know and/or care about state testing. The opt out movement has gotten HUGE in my city yet we never have any opt out requests because our parents simply don't know anything about it.

At a state level, there is definitely pressure on sped teachers to get students to pass. My state's position is that there is no excuse for students with learning disabilities to fail state tests. The only "excuse" is having a cognitive disability. My director used to be very vocal about backing our sped staff with this issue, talking about how if students were proficient on state assessments, they would most likely no longer qualify for services so it's an impossible standard. She's changed her attitude significantly this year and I wonder if she's getting more pressure from people above her. Modified assessments are only available for 1% of the district's special ed population per state law. We reach the 1% cap even before all of our students in SSN programs are counted, so of course none of my students would ever qualify.

We also don't have any accommodations that are really going to help struggling students get a better score. Extended time does nothing for a student that is reading 2-3 years below grade level and can't read the passages/questions well enough to answer them in the first place. In my dad's state he can read the questions and answer choices to students on the state reading test, which makes a huge difference. He works in a very wealthy district where almost all students pass, so he faces huge pressures to get all sped students passing. In previous years almost all of his students would pass; when his state did PARCC last year he had 0 pass. His state had already determined that they were getting rid of PARCC before results even came out, so that year didn't really hurt him any. My state is one of the few that's still doing PARCC .
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote