Help

Special Education

Inclusion.

>

shopgirl78

Inclusion.
Old 04-15-2016, 05:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Let me preface by saying I'm a gen Ed teacher and I'm not sure sped is being provided adequately. I have 5 students that are sped. All have 30-90 mins of inclusion a week each. The sped para came in Monday for 20 min or so. They NeVER work with one resource student who also has inclusion mins. This is very typical. How are the sped department meeting mins? Does inclusion include some cm? They get pulled here and there. I was under the impression that inclusion was in the gen Ed setting. Do inclusion mins run concurrent between students? What happens if the IEP is not being followed? I've complained but I think it just got the sped teacher in trouble and burned a bridge...but it's frustrating in my class not having the support. Our grade level has the most sped and bac. I feel that many problems in the grade could be resolved by support.

shopgirl78 is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 04-16-2016, 07:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Yes, minutes can count for multiple students at the same time. It sounds like with the students in your class, 90 minutes per week would cover all of the students. I don't know what cm is. We don't do inclusion minutes at all at my school, but other elementary schools in the district do. My director encourages us to actually label them as outside of the gen ed room and then put in the service delivery statement that services could occur inside the gen ed room when appropriate. She says it's best to document the "most restrictive" placement so you're covered in a scenario where it makes more sense to pull the student instead.

We get a lot of gen ed teachers posting here that complain about minutes not being met and my response is always the same. I am often pulled to do other things. Unfortunately, sped teachers "teaching time" is simply not given the same respect that gen ed teaching time is. I am often asked to go to meetings (data teams, RtI meetings, parent meetings) during times when I'm supposed to be with students. I'm also part of the "crisis team" (was not my choice, I'm required to be on it), meaning I can be pulled to deal with a student having a meltdown at any time, even if I'm teaching. We have a lot of severe behavior in my building so this happens frequently. My para is often pulled to cover recess/lunch duty for absent paras and in past years she's been pulled for months on end to be a 1:1 for a high needs student while we jump through the hoops to get him/her in the correct placement. I would imagine it would be even worse in an inclusion setting because all of the kids are already being "covered" by you. I have complained until I'm blue in the face about not meeting IEP minutes but the truth is that no one but me cares. In the past when I've complained I've been accused of "not being a team player" or "not wanting to help ___________ (high needs student, behavior student, etc.) When the state does audits, they only audit paperwork and nothing is done to check that minutes are actually being met. Parents in my district aren't very involved and honestly wouldn't even know to check on if their child is actually receiving all of their services, so admin knows they can get away with it. You need to talk directly to your sped teacher and figure out why the minutes are not being met. If she's being pulled for other duties, perhaps you can go to admin together and say that you're concerned that the students aren't getting their services. You could even frame it as wanting admin's help in creating a schedule. If the sped teacher really does have no reason for not going to your room, saying something will alert her to the fact that you're on to her and should help resolve the problem.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

TaffyFL

Totally agree with Haley
Old 04-17-2016, 04:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Sometimes the minutes don't happen and it's rarely the SPED teacher's fault. I have push in and pull out so most of the time the speech teach pulls out but sometimes she'll stay. The SPED teacher and para push in for math and reading support but pull out for intensive intervention.

What frustrates me is that the IEPs were not being written in the best interest of the child sometimes. I got two students who read two grades below level and there was no intensive intervention pull out. Sometimes I think the IEPs are written to accommodate what staff is available instead of the student's needs.
TaffyFL is offline   Reply With Quote

teabreak

IEP minutes
Old 04-25-2016, 05:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Multiple students can be serviced under the same minutes. Perhaps Susie has 15 minutes of writing and Sam has 20 minutes of writing and they are in the same class. They can be worked with together for 20 minutes and time and services have been met for both. If we had to do 1:1 for every student, the teacher would get nothing done!

I'm thinking when you write "cm" you mean case management. That depends in that case. If there is case management time written into the IEP then it can happen during that time. I don't write that in for my students as I see them quite a bit.

If the IEP is not being followed, and you can back it up, then you need to talk to the sped teacher first, principal next then sped director and get a meeting set up. Do you know if you are to be meeting some of the time on the IEP? I have heard of case managers writing into the IEP that the general education teacher will provide some specialized instruction in some cases.

Also keep in mind that some districts and schools view special ed teachers as the ones that will "fix" everything. We get pulled to deal with little Johnny blowing out, we get pulled to fill in at an at-risk meeting. Need data looked at? We get to do it. All of this along with planning individual lessons for each student we see (I have 53 I see this year alone) and then the paperwork. Don't get me wrong, I love my job and kids as well as colleagues, but sometimes they don't understand what is going on under the surface when I am running late to a class.
teabreak is offline   Reply With Quote