Help

Special Education

Word problems

>

ST13

Word problems
Old 04-11-2016, 03:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have a 4th grade student with autism who is having the hardest time with word problems. We have been using a chart with key words and it's helps a bit but he still has trouble solving independently. Any advice?

ST13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Spedhed

Old 04-12-2016, 02:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I try to have mine close their eyes while I'm reading them and visualize what's happening. Before even attempting to find the answer, they have to answer "are we getting bigger or smaller?" That narrows down for them at least 2 operations. Then if they still can't do it, we get out manipulatives and actually act it out.
Spedhed is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 04-12-2016, 01:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

This may sound dorky, but I've always taught kids "if in doubt, draw it out!" Sometimes it helps to clarify what's being asked. I'm also wondering if your key word chart includes succinct step-by-step directions on how to think about the problem and how to approach it? Identifying key words is just one part of solving the problem, and many kids with autism do very well with step-by-step instructions (e.g., the first step is to highlight key words. Next step determine what the question is, third step... etc.). That would allow him to be independent, but still give him additional support.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

Jmaca50

Old 05-23-2016, 04:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I use the "It's Elementary" series by M.J.Owen. It is a very structured system that includes drawing and learning key words for each operation. My students do well with this series.
Jmaca50 is offline   Reply With Quote