Help

Special Education

Is it normal to...

>

NewCAteacher

Is it normal to...
Old 05-20-2016, 02:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

come home from work on a Friday and literally flop down on your bed and just lay there in exhaustion? I am a student teacher in a self-contained class, and today just seemed so hard. My mentor was gone, and the kids don't really listen to me the way they listen to her, regardless of what kind of consequences we both decide to give. Today I actually yelled at a student for being disrespectful (he is habitually dishonest and disrespectful with a LOT of oppositional defiant behaviors) and I don't feel bad about it. No one consistently holds him accountable and when he IS held accountable and given a consequence (ex: computer time is taken away) he throws an absolute FIT -- throwing his desk, kicking backpacks, laying on the floor screaming -- keep in mind this kid is 10-years-old and is only diagnosed with SLD. His aggressive meltdowns are the reason no one wants to give consequences.

Well that was a long winded rant, lol! But yeah, is it normal to feel totally wiped out like this in the beginning?! I hope it eventually just becomes something I get used to, haha!

NewCAteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Teach0929

Teach0929

Old 05-20-2016, 03:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Yep! It's my 5th year teaching self contained and I come home like that at least 4/5 days a week. Yesterday I swear every student had a meltdown at some point. I have a very similar student whose violent fits with consequences are so intense that I do whatever I need to avoid them.

expertteacher

Yes, this is normal!
Old 05-20-2016, 06:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have been an educator for 11 years and Friday is the day that I go to bed the earliest. Some Fridays I will come home, feed the kids, and get in the bed at 5:00. I do not come out again for the rest of the night. As time has gone on over the years, I find that I am not as tired but I'm still pretty tired. The beginning of the year is the most exhausting and the end of the year is just as exhausting.

You will find it easier to manage your own classroom. Keep hanging in there.
expertteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

ThirdNerd

Yes!
Old 05-20-2016, 06:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

There will be times of total exhaustion and times of exhilaration. It takes time to find ways to manage behavior, and then some plans are short-lived.....some days are just hard, I still have them after 27 years!! Take some time for yourself this weekend, it's the most important thing to do! (and it's a full moon....)
ThirdNerd is offline   Reply With Quote

Lottalove

Fridays?
Old 05-21-2016, 08:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Some weeks that happens on weekdays too... I have never been one to nap easily but this year, I nap about 3-5 times a week. I thought it was because I was getting older and/or had an extra tough class this year.

It happens the first year as your body adjusts. It happens at the beginning of the year as your body re-adjusts after summer and it will also ebb and flow throughout the year.

Don't despair, your stamina will build eventually.

Lottalove is offline   Reply With Quote

tctrojan

It is not unusual
Old 05-21-2016, 03:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Hang in there, it will get better. There will always be days like that!
tctrojan is offline   Reply With Quote

Goats4me

NewCAteacher
Old 05-22-2016, 06:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I am going into my 9th year. It's exhausting. But I love my career. Some days, worse than others. It's like anything else, good days and bad days. Everyday, I learn something new, better ways to do things. You will too! I wish you the best! Hang in there!
Goats4me is offline   Reply With Quote
been there 2

been there 2

Old 05-23-2016, 03:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

It is my 7th year in self-contained and I am exhausted too.

Dealing with out-of-control kids and situations is exhausting. A kid who is intermittently reinforced for behaviors (as in sometimes there is a consequence sometimes there is not) will have worse behaviors because all he learns is that he needs to have bigger fits to be left alone. Yelling will only teach him that you know you have no control. Bite the bullet and be calm and consistent in your consequence and at first his behavior will get a lot worse (since that is what has worked in the past) but in the end (might be a few month) it will be better. I also encourage you to not think of him as a horrible kid but as a kid who is in special ed because he needs help to learn manage his emotions appropriately. Right now he lacks the skills and support.

NewCAteacher

Really good advice
Old 05-23-2016, 10:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Thank you. I truly don't think any of my students are horrible people, but I will admit that I sometimes think, "man this kid is a BRAT!" lol. He is actually quite sweet and lovable a great deal of the time, but when he is escalated (which happens pretty frequently), he is pretty unmanageable. I won't go into the dishonest side of his personality...

Everything you said is correct. We do need to be consistent with the consequences. Often I will begin to dole out a consequence, and my mentor will say "stop, that's going to set him off even more." Well, yeah, it's a consequence...consequences are not created to make the kid happy. We have all admitted that we give him a lot of slack because he is so explosive and his outbursts are frightening. But we all know that this is really just doing a disservice to him in the long run....
NewCAteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 05-27-2016, 07:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I actually pushed a kid into a meltdown today, the last day of school, because I was tired of his crap and him thinking he could do what he wanted with no consequences. So he had them today and I say back and ignored the meltdown (as did the rest of the class). They feed into the defiance but ignore the meltdown. Go figure.

I teach gen Ed and sometimes you will feel like you ran a marathon. On Fridays I generally make no plans, don't answer my phone and am in jammies before the dogs come in from their potty break.

GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

vroscoe

Old 06-09-2016, 06:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

you wouldn't be normal if you didn't...it takes time but you'll get a hang of things...try using a token reward system in a notebook he can take with him to remind him of appropriate behavior..such as collect 5 tokens end of day go "shopping " in treasure chest,...i wrk in a school that has an abundance amount of children who have E.D. as well as impulsive disorders and oppositional defiant behavior..its crazy how many kids are fitting under these terms...where kids have to leave the class now so they can have their meltdown..and its multiple times a day...i been working 15 yrs and seen over time more and more children with these "disorders"...youll work through them...good luck
vroscoe is offline   Reply With Quote